Options

ENTRY LEVEL Securities

romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, i've just started my path into securities and was wondering what certifications would be handy for entry level, who has no experience. I'm taking my Comptia Network + exam in a couple days, and I'm moving onto Comptia Security +, also my post grad is a program at my local college in Information security Management. What would be another good certification that would be beneficial to get into the market, with 0 experience. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Ps is a security 5 from ec council useful at all?

Comments

• Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Might not be on everyone's list of security certs, but i'd say go for the MTA: Security (Microsoft). Sure, it's not vendor neutral like the CompTIA's, but you'll be able to pass it with around 1-3 months of study and you'll pick up some good quality information about hardening OS's and reducing the attack surface. After my OSCP is over, i'm actually planning to do it myself. The OSCP is purely about the "offensive" side of security whereas I think it's nice to show that you're an all-rounder, so you can defend as well as attack.

Security+ is supposed to be quite good. Once you've got those sorted, you could probably *think* about the OSCP, but i'll warn you....it's no joke. Check out my thread for more info on it. Hope this helps somewhat.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Network+ > Security+ > System or Network Certifications (Microsoft / Cisco) > More specific such as SSCP / OSCP / CEH / CISSP / Forensics.

Jumping straight into something such as OSCP will be quite difficult without some prior knowledge of how things actual function. Not to mention, you will have a harder time finding a job with something like OSCP and no experience (most likely). At least if you can become an admin you can transition over time. A good security professional knows how the systems and networks they protect function...allows you to dig deeper finding vulnerabilities. You do not have to go to a CCIE or MCSE level necessarily but some knowledge will help. I would also look at learning LINUX/UNIX as you go...a large amount of security tools are written for those operating systems.
  • Options
    romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys now I will look into those i'm trying to figure how to get some experience. Alot of people are telling me certs will be useless unless I get some experience but not sure where to go or exactly what type of experience should I get. Many people have suggested job shadowing or volunteering, but in what aspect should i do that? any suggestions guys?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Anything is better than nothing. You will find you can get your foot in the door as you progress with certifications and a base of knowledge. As you get into System/Network certifications and above you obviously want to start building out a lab. Even if your current job is not dealing with something (ex. forensics) you can still practice methods and then list them on your resume.

Help desk is where a lot of people start but it all depends on the individual. I have heard of people volunteering at non-profits since they cannot afford to pay a ton of people.