Options

Sy0-301 or Sy0-401

ryanchryanch Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have taken an passed the Sy0-201 Exam already about 3 years ago as luck would have as a stipulation of raise for my current employer. It expired a few months ago. I am hopefully getting another job that requires a current Sec +. My question is how much different are these two test to the one I had previously taken and passed pretty easily? I read about the new style of questions and it has me worried. If it is anything like Microsoft tests long drawn out questions they might get pretty hard. I am currently watching some CBTnuggets on the newest 401 about 6 or so in and i do not see alot of differences.

Comments

• Options
    jd386jd386 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Based on my experience on the 301, you don't need to worry about Microsoft-style brain teasers. The multiple choice questions are generally pretty straightforward, in the same style as other CompTIA exams. If you haven't taken a CompTIA exam in a while, the major new thing would be the performance-based questions.

I'm sure you'll see this recommendation elsewhere, but take a look at Darril Gibson's S+ book. He covers the test very well, including the format.
  • Options
    ryanchryanch Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah its been a few years. Honestly I always liked comptias tests and testing centers better than Microsofts. In my area at least there are more testing centers and the tests seem more straight forward. So you would recommend 301? I have seen alot of rave reviews for Darrils books. I was going to check it out after i was done with the cbt videos.
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    whats better to go for? the 301 or the 401?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You should take the one you have more experience with. Look at the objectives between the two, compare, and take the one that best matches what you work with. If you can take the exam in the next week or two, take 301. Otherwise, plan on 401.

Either way, the cert will expire 3 years from your passing year and need to be renewed to be maintained.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ok, i have the 301 book so i will just do that. either way you get the security+ is that right?
    also, does the 301 expire soon?
  • Options
    flyerxlflyerxl Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eddo1 wrote: »
    ok, i have the 301 book so i will just do that. either way you get the security+ is that right?
    also, does the 301 expire soon?

Well the 301 is retired at the end of the year. So starting 1.1.15, you will only be able to take the 401.
  • Options
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eddo1 wrote: »
    401 it is icon_smile.gif

I took the 301 even though I studied 401 material also. I just thought it would give me a better chance at passing (and it did!). Also, no one asks for exam version/year (only ce designation now). Just my .02; either way - good luck and you shouldn't have much of a problem since you're already CCNA. icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown