first IT job?

jonatron5jonatron5 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok here's my situation. Im in second year college informations system buissness orientation major.

Right now im working at macdonalds to help pay for school. And I gotta say the work sucks the hours suck and the pay sucks. My friends and I where talking and I've decided im going to try to get my first full time it job this summer working the helpdesk or tech support. One of the main reasons im intrested is I heard that the places im looking at pay IT workers 30 grand a year starting and while this isn't alot by anyones standards its more than double what I earn at MacDonalds right now.

My first question: is whether that pay grade is inflated or if it sounds on target to you guys?

So after talking with my classmates I decided to get certified becuase at the very leadt it looks good on a resume. I checked there requirements and they only require security + so thats what I got. They did say they like to have network+ and A+ however.

So as a 19 year old college kid will I be cut any slack for only having the required certificate? Becuase if I understand correctly a+ is basic computer knowledge that anyone with any other cert ought to be able to do?

The companies im lookimg at do have programs for college students in the tech field like me but my grades arnt that stellar right now. I just swapped over from premedical.

My next question is, as my money is tight right now before summer gets here I will probb only be able to afford to take one more cert. Should I go with the A+ or the network+?

Comments

• tcosictcosic Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would go for the CCENT and then CCNA instead.. They are worth more in my opinion, which will lead to more job opportunities.
  • rgagnon_gamerrgagnon_gamer Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    was lucky to land my first IT job via a regular customer at the coffee shop I used to work at.
  • fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work at Staples as a "certified tech" about to take my A+ this is really temporary looking to get out by the summer, we charge some high prices I actually ended up deferring business sometimes... we connect to a Matrix server to do virus removals and other things, not much tech work but there is some actually learned a few good things. I will be posting up a review of the job after 3 months.
  • jonatron5jonatron5 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok what is this ccent cert?
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fcp4life wrote: »
    I work at Staples as a "certified tech" about to take my A+ this is really temporary looking to get out by the summer, we charge some high prices I actually ended up deferring business sometimes... we connect to a Matrix server to do virus removals and other things, not much tech work but there is some actually learned a few good things. I will be posting up a review of the job after 3 months.

I have been there man.... i was NEVER sooooo happy to quit a job and never have i had such animosity towards a prior employer.... just EWWW!!!
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    I'd get A+ and then try and get an entry level computer tech job or work for a help desk to make more than at McDonalds.
  • dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If the position you find is very entry-level, then most everything will be written out in some document that will serve as a backup in case you don't know what to do. So when it comes to (some) entry-level help desk requirements, there are some companies that just need to put a body in a chair.

Pay will fluctuate depending on where you are located. I strongly support getting certified, and I am certain there are a fair number of us on this forum that would say the same.

Take advantage of the resources that are available on this website (they're free). There is a whole section dedicated to CompTIA Certifications - which in your case I would recommend continuing to pursue. Take advantage of the resources at your college as well - those people are there for you (it's included in your tuition).