MY WGU MSISA Thread --- Started Program November 5th, 2014

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I am creating this thread to try and keep track of my progress for my Masters of Science in Information Security Assurance @ WGU.

I started November 5th, 2014. I wish to complete it in 2 years or less. I work full-time as a Desktop Engineer and float between San Francisco, AZ & Chandler, AZ to see my significant other. School is not the most interesting thing to me, but I feel I need this stripe on my belt to move up in the world. Wish me luck and thank you in advance for your support!icon_wink.gif

Very Respectfully,

GreaterNinja

Comments

• da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Good luck GreaterNinja, Could you tell us a bit more about your background in InfoSec? What was your undergrad in and from where?

I ask because I have been trying to identify why some people have been really satisfied with this degree and others have been less than pleased. So far I attributed it to the person’s prior level of knowledge level.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Best of luck! Do let me know when you get to VLT2. If you say you enjoyed that class I will make sure you get banned here icon_smile.gif
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    How likely is it to finish the MSISA in one term? I'm sure that's based on the determination and prior knowledge of the person, but still I wonder...
  • deanofpledgesdeanofpledges Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I start the MBA - Information Technology program March 1st
  • deanofpledgesdeanofpledges Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    How likely is it to finish the MSISA in one term? I'm sure that's based on the determination and prior knowledge of the person, but still I wonder...

I only know of one person who completed it one term, and they spent about 50+ hours per week studying/doing schoolwork. Not really worth burning yourself out like that in my opinion.
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're extremely motivated and have a lot of time to study, then 2 terms should be your goal.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It's totally doable (although unusual) given you have a lot of time and a lot of experience in the areas covered. I could've done it in one but lost all drive. Will end up doing all "regular" classes this term and just the capstone next.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm working on my MSISA as well! I was only able to complete 3 classes (I'm still in my bachelor term) but I have LYT2, TFT2 and LOT2 all done, and everything written out for JIT2 and I'm starting to work on VUT2
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I started Oct. 1. I had a huge migration project at work that slowed me down but I am wrapping up LYT2 and LOT2 right now. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    has anyone who has completed this masters degree actually helped them in furthering their career?
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Hello guys! Its been a while since I wrote anything on this thread. I've now completed my first Term at WGU: 8 CU out of 30 complete or 26.66% done! 100% SAP.
    I've also completed 2 VMware Associate certs and plan to go for VCP next. I've had a lot of people tell me to read the grading rubric, but there is a little more to it if this is your first time going to WGU. WGU is not exactly like a traditional brick and mortar school and so the learning and grading style is quite a bit different.

The best methods for success I've learned are:
    1. Attend the webinars and listen to the instructor’s hints, tools, and strategies
    2. Follow the Grading rubric for each task carefully
    3. Email your course mentors if you have issues or questions
    4. Download any related tips or documents to your respective course (webinars usually have a tips document or PowerPoint)
    5. Submit one task and then start on the next one. Don't wait for feedback on the first task you submitted because it can take several days.
    6. Google and Wikipedia are your friend.
    7. Try to complete at least 1 task assessment every week or two every three weeks.

I think my flaw originally was that I wanted to read 100% of everything per course. I truly wanted to learn everything. Then I would take the task assessments and I would realize that maybe 25-60% of the course actually related to the task assessments. Sometimes certain subsections of the task were not covered at all in the course study; it actually required Google or Wikipedia to answer. My mentor and course mentors would tell me to use Google or Wikipedia. Fine...so i did and it saved me a lot of time.

Going forward, I plan to take 2 months off for the VCP course and move to San Francisco, CA. From there I will find a new job and continue with WGU probably at 3-6 courses per 6 months. Ideally I'd like to graduate in 3 terms or less, but who knows with life. :D
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    My goal is three terms. I'm not trying to set any records unlike other members of this forum. icon_wink.gif
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job! Yes some of us have accelerated pretty quickly, but it's not for everyone, you may find that you are getting things done much quicker than anticipated though, the program at WGU definitely rewards hard work and putting time into the classes.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is great information, thanks for sharing. I too am interested in the MSISA degree @ WGU. I’m in my last semester of my bachelor’s degree at Thomas Edison State College and looking to continue my education. I’m thinking 3 ‘semesters’ should be ideal to finish this thing if you really put a little effort into it. You can’t really beat 9 (worst case scenario 12) grand for a graduate degree.

Good Luck,

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Hello, its been a LONG time since I updated this thread. After term 1, I decided to take a 2 month term break to deal with some lose ends before I moved to San Francisco.
    Term 2 is over and I'm about 53.33% done now.
    Term 2 (Term I just Finished): Completed 8 CU
    FMV2, FNV2, VUT2

Again barely finished. This term I studied for VMware VCP 5.5, Linux+, and 2 more VMware VCA exams and moved twice.
    Move #1 was 800 miles to San Francisco. Move #2 was 8,435 miles to Singapore.
    I got a lot better at submitting tasks via Taskstream. I think I only got 1 or 2 revisions the whole term. This is probably due to attending the webinars and taking notes.

Easy courses: VUT2 and FMV2 - CHFI v8

Moderate issues experienced this term:

Major issues this term were: CEH V8 FNV2 changeover to CEH V9 or CEH 312-50 exam while I was in the term.
    I was then advised to not take the exam and take JIT2 and FXT2 to replace it.
    Then I was told I could take it and I need to get the course materials. It took 5 weeks and several emails to Learning Resources, my course mentor, and my degree mentor to get the Official CEH V8 material updated to CEH V9. My engagement in CEH FNV2 lasted about 3.5 to 4 months when it should have only lasted 2 months tops.

My thoughts:
    My thoughts are mixed.
    Online schools can be a bit depressing at times because you have very little interaction with peers or even friends. Its just you going solo almost all of the time. I sometimes feel like a hermit/vampire.

With that said, the program overall provides good value and savings and I see myself needing a Masters degree to remain competitive in the future. Now that i'm more than halfway done, I'm just going to see it through.