Options

OSPF and EIGRP neighborship establishment time.

abdul 17717abdul 17717 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys,

Does any one know how much time does it take to form complete neighborship status between 2 routers (OSPF and EIGRP)? I am not talking about the hello, or keepalives. I need the time that it would take to form the full neighborship from the moment the 2 routers are connected to the moment they start routing through each other.

Comments

• Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can I ask why you are asking? I believe it's instantaneous. Okay, there are stages to go through first so it can't be instantaneous (OSPF for example: Initializing, picking master/slave, exchanging DBD's...) but it can't be very long either.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should be thinking of hello times. This can also be important in neighbor formation. OSPF for example neighbors are formed using hello packets. After that you have the database exchange which the time varies obviously with the size of the database, how many full LSAs in that database need to be exchanged, not to mention router resources to do these things. So there really isn't a hard set time that is absolute. If you want a baseline for your network some testing would be in order under your exact hardware and conditions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Because I have an idea that I really believe that could make it faster.
  • Options
    so about 3-5 seconds in average? (if we are talking about a significantly large db)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That seems longer than the average I have seen though I haven't really timed it. Why not just lab it up and test it out?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only things that really matter for troubleshooting suboptimal convergence in this situation is the router's load (Which should be barely any if it's just two routers lol) and the physical link itself (Speed, full or half duplex), or maybe the link has some kind of intermittent unidirectional link issue. Even then, it's still fast for EIGRP and OSPF. BGP and RIP are the slow ones :D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []