Options

When to save config?

latexyankeelatexyankee Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
On switches and routers.

What specific settings are stored in nvram or flash by default? I think the vlan config is safe....I'm just wondering if it is best practice to write memory every night before I shutdown my lab?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    The running-config is what you have when you are logged into the router/switch/firewall and as you make changes this is the "running-config", however when you shutdown your lab and bring it back up next time, it will load the "startup-config" hence why you should save your config to startup-config
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    spacenoxxspacenoxx Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Every time you make any changes that you want to be RETAINED.

For instance if you changed the hostname but didn't touch the rest of the config. It doesnt change the way the device works. You may or may not write mem. However, if you made some changes that you want to be permanent, you do wr mem.

In Production environment. you make changes, do a copy run tftp and wait for the effects and reload if things break ...else save and copy start tftp

Frantkly I say, you should never use wr mem in a lab icon_lol.gif Makes you type the whole thing again and become an expert at changing hostnames and such icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    latexyankeelatexyankee Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    spacenoxx wrote: »

Frantkly I say, you should never use wr mem in a lab icon_lol.gif Makes you type the whole thing again and become an expert at changing hostnames and such icon_wink.gif

Good point
  • Options
    RynoRRynoR Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do it often, nothing like starting from scratch when the power dips and your devices reboot.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've gotten into the habit of doing it between every set of commands. For example, if I'm configuring a router from scratch --

1. Basic configuration (Hostname, Domain Name, Time Zone, DNS Servers, NTP Servers, etc...)
    2. write mem
    3. Configure Services, etc... (Enable Password Encryption/Logging Timestamps, Disable Config/Finger/TCP Small Servers/UDP Small Servers/HTTP Server, etc...)
    4. write mem
    5. Configure AAA (Local Username and Password, Enable AAA, Configure Method Lists, etc...)
    6. write mem
    7. Configure Lines (Aux, Console, VTY)
    8. write mem
    9. Configure Interfaces (Ethernet, Serial, Loopback, etc...)
    10. write mem
    11. Configure Routing
    12. write mem (after each protocol -- Static, RIP, RIPng, EIGRP for IPv4, EIGRP for IPv6, OSPFv2, OSPFv3, ODR, etc...)
    13. Miscellaneous Configurations
    14. write mem (after each topic/protocol)
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]