MCSE..achieved.. Got the Big job.. Now what?

ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I may ramble here but..

I have been studying for my CCNA (eventually will take exam in about 2 weeks) and i seen tons of comments on this site and other forums (Spiceworks, etc) say that those folks dont use their CCNA at all? icon_confused.gif:

I am wanting to ultimately get a VCP-NV, but i need to get the CCNA in order to do it. My question is.. am i really barking up the wrong tree.. Nothing personal but i dont want to do Network stuff as a career, i just want the skill set to get more money in the future.

It's a big dilemma for me because if i dont complete this VCP-NV, by Feburary 28th 2015 I will need to fork over $5,000 + just for those training courses.

1) Will my VCP-NV and CCNA really net me more money over just additional years of experience?

2) Should i look at maybe at other certifications that match more of my skillset versus just trying to get a cert under my belt to get to what i ultimately want..

Comments

• RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't speak to point 1, but as to point 2, I'd say if you can do whatever cert and it ultimately moves you in the direction you want to go then it's far from a waste. Progress is progress and more knowledge is always a good thing as you never know how that knowledge may help you in areas you'd not have expected.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My question is why are you pursuing network certs if you already know that isn't what you want to do? Seems like you are wasting your time there to me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you live in the US then no, you don't have to fork over +$5000 for VMware ICM training to get VCP-DCV certified. There are multiple Sub $1000 options that have been discussed on this forum.

1) Experience > certifications. Certifications will certainly open up more opportunities to you but it is unlikely a company will pay you for experience you don't have yet.

2) I don't know your experience or background but going from 0 vSphere experience to VCP-NV is going to be extremely difficult due to the large learning in learning the vSphere product and the lack of material available to study the VCP-NV.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you don't like networking and aren't planning to work in networking, then vcp-nv is going to be largely a waste of time. If you prefer servers/storage, as I'm guessing based on your mcse and your view of networking, then get your vcp-dcv, and stay with what you like.
  • ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    If you live in the US then no, you don't have to fork over +$5000 for VMware ICM training to get VCP-DCV certified. There are multiple Sub $1000 options that have been discussed on this forum.

1) Experience > certifications. Certifications will certainly open up more opportunities to you but it is unlikely a company will pay you for experience you don't have yet.

2) I don't know your experience or background but going from 0 vSphere experience to VCP-NV is going to be extremely difficult due to the large learning in learning the vSphere product and the lack of material available to study the VCP-NV.

Can you post a link to one of those sub $1,000 options?

I am more on the systems engineering side as my Current title is Systems Engineer II. I have 14 years of IT exp.. 11 years of experience in System Engineering/Administration

I only want a VCP because I have major experience in building esXI's from scratch. (including server hardware).. So i want to get the VCP, as i know the salary for an individual with a VCP hits near $90-$100,000 a year.
    Ruminus wrote: »
    I can't speak to point 1, but as to point 2, I'd say if you can do whatever cert and it ultimately moves you in the direction you want to go then it's far from a waste. Progress is progress and more knowledge is always a good thing as you never know how that knowledge may help you in areas you'd not have expected.

I am only pursuing it because most Engineering positions want someone with the Network Skills in addition to system engineering/administration
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So i want to get the VCP, as i know the salary for an individual with a VCP hits near $90-$100,000 a year.

It's not quite that simple. Someone with a VCP doesn't just walk into a well paying job. While a VCP will surely help someone get a job that pays well, it's just one small piece to the puzzle.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    It's not quite that simple. Someone with a VCP doesn't just walk into a well paying job. While a VCP will surely help someone get a job that pays well, it's just one small piece to the puzzle.

I realize that.. and i know i will acquire more experience over the next few years.. I just want to be proactive and get rolling on the certs now..as I just got my MCSE done..
    With your experience, definitely get VCP-DCV, not VCP-NV. Your CCNA will definitely help you, and I know my boss values having mine (I have a similar job, maybe a bit more senior) on his server team. But the Network virtualization VCP won't help you nearly as much as DCV. Get the VCA-dcv to start, as it is always helpful to have a vmware cert in systems field, as you've seen, and it's only $120 and the test is online, open book. With experience you describe, it should be no issue to get that, then attend one of the Vmware academy programs for your VCP-DCV.
    joelsfood wrote: »
    With your experience, definitely get VCP-DCV, not VCP-NV. Your CCNA will definitely help you, and I know my boss values having mine (I have a similar job, maybe a bit more senior) on his server team. But the Network virtualization VCP won't help you nearly as much as DCV. Get the VCA-dcv to start, as it is always helpful to have a vmware cert in systems field, as you've seen, and it's only $120 and the test is online, open book. With experience you describe, it should be no issue to get that, then attend one of the Vmware academy programs for your VCP-DCV.

Gotcha.. i will look at the DCV.. However, even if you take the exam and pass they wont give you a cert unless you've paid for some type of training correct?
    Correct, with some rare excpetions around renewals, new programs, etc.

Vmware IT Academy is the overall program that covers the discounted training offered through some colleges, vocationals, etc.
    joelsfood wrote: »
    Correct, with some rare excpetions around renewals, new programs, etc.

Vmware IT Academy is the overall program that covers the discounted training offered through some colleges, vocationals, etc.

interesting... I thought different as I called Vmware and discussed payment..Guess they were just trying to make a buck.. I will check out this Vmware IT Academy also..
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    the salary for an individual with a VCP hits near $90-$100,000 a year.

You also need to realize that includes individuals with VCAP's and VCDX which pulls the average significantly higher. Just the VCP alone will end up being lower than that number. You also need to factor in location and other factors.
    Can you post a link to one of those sub $1,000 options?

There are many threads in Virtualization section of this forum that have discussed those options.

I only want a VCP because I have major experience in building esXI's from scratch. (including server hardware)

Personally, I think the VCP-DCV would more beneficial to you and your career as a Systems Engineer than the VCP-NV. The VCP-DCV is better aligned to the Systems role and is by far better known than the VCP-NV which was recently released.

Good luck sir!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    ITBroke and joelsFood.. when i search " Vmware Academy " I only get 3 threads.
    Looks like i found a thread.. using google instead of the forum search. http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/72885-inexpensive-vmware-training-options.html

$1,000 to me it is not much of a discount..(even though they intially go for $5,000). If i go and take 2 Cisco Exams plus 1 Vmware Exam, I would only pay $450.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did you read the thread? Stanly.edu is like $150 or $180, something like that.
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VCP-DCV --> VCAP-DCA or DCD would be my reccomendation for you. VCP, in my opinion, is the entry level cert for vmware although its pretty tough.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $1,000 to me it is not much of a discount..(even though they intially go for $5,000). If i go and take 2 Cisco Exams plus 1 Vmware Exam, I would only pay $450.
    The main question is how beneficial it is to have a bunch of certs without much experience in those areas, like if you don't work with Cisco gear on a daily basis and have no experience with NSX, what's the point of having those certs? Let's say you've got the VCP-NV and got an interview and the interviewer would ask you, ok, so I see you're VCP-NV certified, right? Please tell me about your experience with NSX...
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    gkca wrote: »
    The main question is how beneficial it is to have a bunch of certs without much experience in those areas, like if you don't work with Cisco gear on a daily basis and have no experience with NSX, what's the point of having those certs? Let's say you've got the VCP-NV and got an interview and the interviewer would ask you, ok, so I see you're VCP-NV certified, right? Please tell me about your experience with NSX...

Well.. I wouldnt apply/interview for a job that requires me to do a bunch of Network Stuff.. and also, the industry standard is to get paid for certs that you have acquired.

I would presume.. passing the exams for CCNA.. will give me enough knowledge to be dangerous.. and that warrants a higher salary than the one i have now.
    Looks like you cannot get a (VCP-DCV) Datacenter Virtualization certifcation when using a CCNA to skip/waive the course requirement. I also submitted my information to Stanly.edu and did not get a response. Basically they just have a waiting list.