Options

Disaster Recovery solutions for VMWare environment?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
I've been tasked with looking into DR solutions. We're using Veeam right now and we're mostly a linux shop. Veeams inability to do the re-IP without a bunch of scripting is really turning most of the team off.

I know VMWare has SRM and right now that's probably my first choice. I want to be fair though and review other options. I know Symantec and CommVault have solutions as well. Anyone have any experience with these or other DR software they'd recommend?

Comments

• Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What are you using for storage?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Give Zerto a look. I saw a demo at VMUG the other day and it looked slick, can re-IP, re-protect and failback and let's you test a DR situation (in a bubble network). Think of it has a mix of vSphere Replication and SRM, doesnt need vCenter at the recovery site though and from any to any storage too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    What are you using for storage?

We have two DS3500's in one DC, but we're moving to a different vendor and they are moving us to to Quantastor SDS.
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Give Zerto a look. I saw a demo at VMUG the other day and it looked slick, can re-IP, re-protect and failback and let's you test a DR situation (in a bubble network). Think of it has a mix of vSphere Replication and SRM, doesnt need vCenter at the recovery site though and from any to any storage too.

Thanks Essendon, I've never heard of Zerto. I'll check it out!
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Essendon wrote: »
    Give Zerto a look. I saw a demo at VMUG the other day and it looked slick, can re-IP, re-protect and failback and let's you test a DR situation (in a bubble network).

SRM does the same thing, but yeah you need that vCenter on the other end. I will say it took us quite a bit of time to iron out all the problems with SRM and we have test runs weekly. We've used it in 2 failovers/failbacks and have had success. It's a PiTA to set up and get it functioning properly.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I personally use Acronis 11.5 Backup with Universal Remote and it works great in a DR scenario..... they have a VMware model too, that integrated directly into vCenter and works flawlessly...
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Zerto or SRM are the two you should compare with. Not many other choices out there that come close. Veeam is alright, but as said previously, it does Re-IP and a couple of others, if you were backing up rather than replication, then I would chose Veeam over Zerto. depends on the order you want to do things.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com