Do you learn the most when you get destroyed at work?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I personally learn the most when I am put on tight time lines. My brain hurts afterwards but during that time frame I am learning a lot.

When do you learn the most?

For me getting the high level understanding of something from books is big but it caps out eventually and real world has to take over.

Comments

• BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    I learn the most through on the job experience rather than reading a book.
  • CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I learn best by practice practice practice. Saying that though, it's hard when your 'first line support' job actually turns out to be a 'call centre support' job. Log and flog eh. All that studying for my certs, knowledge fading...
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I tend to think I work better under pressure, but most of the time people just call that being lazy. I like to combine experience with research. Often I have a hard time just reading the book, but any material I can read through or view prior to actually doing something usually proves to be the most helpful. But I do agree I work better with some form of deadline.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree during a crunch for me too.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I definitely learn the most from solving issues especially ones that had me on the verge of smashing the equipment with a hammer. I would say during a crunch as well but I know for me depending on the turnaround I tend to learn whatever I need to know to get it done. For everything in between thats where the certifications come into play to fill in the gaps.