Options

Most reliable power supply brand

mogermoger Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
For like the 3rd time in a year my PSU on my XP machine has crapped out (this time I couldnt get any video because of it). I usually just go on EBAY and get any ole' brand as long as it's a decent price. But I am sick of doing that. I want to buy a very reliable brand. What are the best (most reliable) PSU brands I should look for?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, I wouldn't go to e-bay - period. Although, I'm sure others disagree with me - I'm far from ever being a fan.

Second, and more importantly to your question:

Sparkle has always been a good low-end for me. Can't think of a problem. It can produce a bit more noise on the new boxes with all the fans, so I've upgarded to Antec's for the past year and a half.

Enlight can be pretty good.
    Antec SmartPowers over their' True Powers

I've used:
    XClio -been ok just cannot always find them.
    MaxCool - has been ok - nothing fancy and is my alternative low cost solution to Sparkle's that I just don't seem to buy any longer.

I look for quiet as well as good spec's for the money as I'm building workstations and Servers.

If you are burning out of PS's are you certain you have it sized correctly for everything you have hooked up? Also, overclocking can stress a PS too. So, if you are plugging in many drives and extra's as well as OC'ing, I'm not certain any brand of PS will matter - they will all die over time.

Ex. Intel recommends a 16A on the 12+ for LGA CPU's. Claim you can use a 300W PS. When speaking with them regarding 'what happens if you don't?" They replied that the system will work, but it will drain the power supply and cut it's life. In a pinch you can use a smaller PS, but you want to change it out and size it properly for what you are using your system for.

BTW-I"m not a fan of OC so, if you going this route, then perhaps someone else can suggest a PS. I build my stuff to last in a work enviroment including CAD businesses.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    I agree with Plantwiz, Sparkle has always been good for me and they are priced pretty well. I have also used Antec & Thermaltake power supplies in customer's computers and I have not had one fail.

I overclock and use a Ultra ULT31841 V-Series 500 Watt and it's been running fine for 2 years. If you want something that is quiet go with one that has 120MM fans, they can move the same amount of air at a lower PRM which makes less noise.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I've been running an Enermax 485w since 2001. Keeps my liquid system and Raid array up and working no issues. I have a the CompUSA brand in my lab machines, I think those are actually Antecs in a plain box; but no complaints there either.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    If you grab a PSU > 75 dollars. It should be good enough.

Because generic PSUs are normally in the 20 dollar range.

Next time you pick up a PSU, tell by the weight. Normally ones that seem heavier, are the better ones. Some may disagree, but I find it's the best way to figure out without any technical specifications.

If you wanted to start reading labels and comparing what you have in your system, check out this article.

http://shsc.info/PowerSupplyGuide
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I always buy Antec power supply units and American Power Conversion (APC) UPSes. Never use one without the other and you'll never need to worry about power (at least I haven't so far).

http://www.antec.com/us/pro_powerSupply.html

http://www.apcc.com/index.cfm?ISOCountryCode=us