Resume Critique

mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm in the process of beginning a new job search. Would a few of the many knowledgeable and skilled professionals here take a look at my resume and give some critiques and advice on how to improve it? :D

You guys haven't heard it enough, but you're all awesome.

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The overall format of the resume is clean and easy to navigate.

Your name at the top of the resume needs to draw more attention. It should be a bigger font than the body text.

Within the work experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. Furthermore, I wouldn't recommend using more than 5 or 6 bullets per job. Any more than that and it becomes tedious for the reader to read through.

For the first job description, I would recommend listing only your current job title, and modify the date to read "December 2010 - Present." Then you can use a bullet to convey that you were promoted from Desktop Support Technician to sysadmin due to superlative work. I think the job title and dates would be less cluttered and confusing this way.

Regarding the educations section, did you earn a degree or some type of diploma or certificate? If not, I wouldn't list anything at all. This is just my opinion, but if you didn't earn anything during your tenure as a student, I don't want to see it on your resume. (unless you are currently a student and your degree is "In progress")

I like that you used action verbs at the beginning of each bullet point. This is great work. I would recommend varying your language a bit and refrain from using the same action verb too often. For example, "deployed" and provisioned" are used several times consecutively. The thesaurus is a great asset here.

Within the certs section, I would be consistent and include the vendor name on all of the certs. It looks more professional that way and doesn't leave the reader guessing as to the cert vendor.
    "Linux Professional Institute - Linux Server Professional Certification (LPIC-1)"
    "CompTIA Linux+"

"Suse" should be all capitalized. SUSE

The professional summary formatting is nice. The content could use a bit of work though, IMO. I would try to elaborate a bit more in certain areas, and lengthen some of the sentences that read a bit too brief. Ideally you want this section to sound as academic as possible. For example:

"Established IT professional with over six years of experience in administering IT infrastructures in corporate environments. Proven skills in managing both Microsoft and Linux desktop and server operating system environments to support business needs. Proficient in a wide variety of technologies, including VoIP systems, networking, systems management, and web servers. Possesses strong analytical skills and a superlative work ethic."

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:
    http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)