Options

The difference between an IT job and an IT career?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
I heard some people talkin about this but I actually wanted to get more into depth because I didnt quite understand them they were my coworkers. But they say what they have is JUST A JOB in IT and the person number two has a CAREER in IT
So anyone knows what this means?

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To me a career is something you enjoy doing while a job is just money. You'd have to ask them what they mean.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's typically a distinction concerning the level of commitment. A career spans more than just a single job or role but rather the journey and personal/professional growth in the timeline of one's involvement into a profession.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work with someone who knows his stuff from experience, very happy where he is, goes with the flow and changes with the company. I see that as a job in IT.

A career in IT is someone who is always looking for experience in various different areas (for interest, fun, or just for career building) for the sole purpose of applying it in his/her current role, or if their current job does not facilitate it, they go somewhere else.

I think everyone on this forum is career-centric. Remember that there are alot of people in IT with literally no interest in it, no interest of knowing anything but whats needed for their current job.
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so true, i think the thing for me is to always keep in the back of your head that your current job may not always be there for you.
    and if things go bad you may find yourself not being able to find another job due to lack of skills.
  • Options
    StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kai123 wrote: »
    I work with someone who knows his stuff from experience, very happy where he is, goes with the flow and changes with the company. I see that as a job in IT.

A career in IT is someone who is always looking for experience in various different areas (for interest, fun, or just for career building) for the sole purpose of applying it in his/her current role, or if their current job does not facilitate it, they go somewhere else.

I think everyone on this forum is career-centric. Remember that there are alot of people in IT with literally no interest in it, no interest of knowing anything but whats needed for their current job.

I would say this is spot on, espically the last sentence. The "just a job" people are the ones that do just enough to keep said job. From what I have seen in our field, its the ones that need a job, so they take call center or help desk jobs. Before you know it, they are there 3-10 years, do just enough to get by, dont try to imporve upon themselves, and criticize those who are ambitious. They also have nothing to lose. Sometimes they get assigned projects that would benefit the career minded person a lot more.

From what I have seen doing deskside support, some people land in a job for which they are not qualified. For example, they are required to work with Access, Excel, Powerpoint, or some other app 40 hours a week. This is the sole purpose of their job and they dont know how to use the app, no experience at all. How did they get that job?
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have no room for advancement (unless you have risen to the very top) or do not plan to stay for long, it's not a career.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone I've worked with has been the exact same way... "It's just a job" mentality. It was fueling my flame to keep studying and make my career everything it could be.

Once I've landed at Microsoft, Its a whole different beast... You're here because you want to be and are the best in the world. (They pick and choose, will leave positions open for months for the right person).
    :twisted:
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I personally always saw a "job" as a place with no "real" future advancement.
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I think a lot of it has to do with your own viewpoint toward your current position. I have worked with people over the years who really just kind of fell in to the IT field and have no real motivation to move forward. I would have considered these folks to be in an IT job where as I would have considered myself (in the exact same position) in an IT career as I study on my down time, I am passionate about what I do and I have goals in place for advancing in my field of work. My 2 pennies anyway.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    docrice wrote: »
    It's typically a distinction concerning the level of commitment. A career spans more than just a single job or role but rather the journey and personal/professional growth in the timeline of one's involvement into a profession.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Funny ahah the ITS JUST A JOB IT person wants to stay where he is at for now and the IT CAREER PERSON plans to advance makes more sense now thanks
    Never thought about this before but thanks you guys.