Options

Getting a job in CCNA

andrewfxandrewfx Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking to get into the IT industry and a job as a network admin so am going to be studying to take my CCNA exam but I'm worried that because I don't have a degree I won't get a job. Is this the case? Would employers expect me to have a a degree? I don't have any job experience in IT apart from my current job where I'm a field technician for a triple play provider fitting and servicing tv broadband and telephone.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't have to have a degree to get your first IT job. I definitely would recommend getting one, but getting some certs and some experience is a good start. Just don't expect to be paid a ton of money out the gate even with a CCNA. You ultimately get paid for your experience.
  • Options
    tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The answer to your question depends. Some companies require that you have a degree, others don't. I'd start applying for entry level positions and see if you can land a job. I do recommend that you also broaden you skills a little beyond just the CCNA, such as learning MS Server and AD. I just graduated with a B.A and recently finished my CCNA and I'm still finding a little difficult to meet all the requirements for some network admin positions out there because most require that you know a little bit about everything. Good luck!
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a degree. I have an entry level cert and will get the full CCNA when I get around to it. I can tell you right now in my regional area there are no f ing jobs and I am disillusioned and disappointed. People say "Oh look, the stock market is at 18000!". The economy SUCKS and since this is a non political website, I'll leave it at that.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In IT experience > degree. What you should do is try to start out with an entry level helpdesk type position to get some experience then you will move up into networking positions. Most companies arent going to look at you with a CCNA and no experience for a network admin position.