Options

Question Regarding Next Certification

bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
I have my Cisco CCENT cert already, and just passed the A+ 801 today. I'm wondering what certification would be good to obtain after I pass the 802 to complete my A+ cert?

I am really wanting to get some of these basic, entry level type certs (CCENT, A+, etc.) before I further my networking career, which I will most likely study Cisco products. But for now, I could really benefit from having more knowledge about operating systems.

1) Would a Windows cert be best because it is the most widely used in businesses?

2) Also, what types of certs do people get when they are taking a similar route to mine?

Comments

• Options
    tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you've already passed your CCENT, go for your CCNA. It will be worth more to you than any of the other Network tests out there. It also depends on what you plan on doing career-wise. What are you interested in?
  • Options
    bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
    Yeah, I was planning on getting back to CCNA after I take a cert to learn more about operating systems, possibly just Windows.

How would the MCSA: Windows 7 cert be? Or would it be better to get Windows 8? I'm sure many more offices use 7 right now than 8.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you plan to be a network administrator, I'd say that the certifications you'll need to obtain will differ with the companies and the technologies they're utilizing.

- Cisco certs are great, as stated a CCNA will go a long way.

- Network+ and Security+ on top of your A+ is a great starting point. (Considered the holy trinity of certs)

- MS certs are good, if you land in a MS environment, and the issue is that they're based around one OS, so if you get certified in server 08, and the company uses server 12, there could be a disconnect.

- Linux+ and LPIC-1 is a good way to go if the position you end up in is linux/unix based. it also gets you some other certifications if you forward your results to LPI.

Server+ might also be of benefit to you, or some VMware certs. There are also Redhat certs, and again it's all dependent on what your employer is using.
  • Options
    crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definantly get your CCNA. CCENT is nice to have but if you bring it up in an interview they are going to ask if your currently working toward the CCNA