Options

ospf/router-id issue

netcrazy88netcrazy88 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm using Todd Lammle's book and Cisco packet tracer to learn different skills in networking. The most recent network I'm working on is "OSPF". I have everything completed except that I can't seem to set the "router-id". I've configured an "ospf" for the router (actually two routers in the network). I believe my interfaces have to be up/up to do the next step. I've tried to different ways of setting the router-id.
In the first I used "Router1(config)#router ospf 5" I used '5' for my ospf.
Then "Router1(config-router)#router-id 1.1.1.1"
Then "Router1#clear ip ospf 5" clearing command allows to restart and the router-id to take effect?
This didn't work

In the next i used "Router1(config)#router ospf 5"
"Router1(config)#interface loopback1" changes interface to up
"Router1(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.240
"Router1#clear ip ospf 5"

Neither of these work. Am I totally way off the path of what needs to be done?

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Going in circles here

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Unfortunately this is one of the more tricky things to accomplish in IOS, especially older version. You are doing it correctly, but for some reason the OSPF process just doesn't like to change and may need to reload the router.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    When you say "clear ip ospf 5" doesn't work, does it actually reload the ospf process or does it just not take the command? Because on my gear "clear ip ospf [num]" isn't a valid command, I would have to do "clear ip ospf [num] process."
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    clear ip ospf pro
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I not sure which version of packet tracer your using but that command is not valid. The proper command is "clear IP ospf process" of clear "ip ospf 5 process". I not sure which version of Todd's book you have so I can't what you have going on and you have not provide enough information to work within your scenario. But you hardcode the Router-ID in one and the other one active interface.