Question on a question...

nailz1000nailz1000 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
On the net+ practice exam, I came across "Which of the following tools is used to attach UTP cabling to a jacket in a patch closet."

My question is.. what is this jacket it's refering to? No one in my office seems to understand what they mean. I can figure out the answer, but I'm still left with the mystery of the jacket.

We'd all appreciate the info! :D
A defining moment in your life is only defined after the moment.

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its a badly worded question but they probably wanted punchdown.
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    nailz1000 wrote:
    On the net+ practice exam, I came across "Which of the following tools is used to attach UTP cabling to a jacket in a patch closet."

My question is.. what is this jacket it's refering to? No one in my office seems to understand what they mean. I can figure out the answer, but I'm still left with the mystery of the jacket.

I would have guessed a crimping tool because of the mention of UTP cabling.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jim_stasz wrote:
    nailz1000 wrote:

I would have guessed a crimping tool because of the mention of UTP cabling.

A crimping tool is used to attach RJ45/RJ11 plugs to cabling. A punch down tool is used to attach cabling to a patch panel.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    nailz1000 wrote:
    Punchdown
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    nailz1000 wrote:

well i ain't know what they mean by jacket but once they mention patch closet then it's mos def a punch down tool
  • jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mhh that question is a little tricky but the way i figured out the answer is in this way. Here at méxico the word jack is refered to the mounting piece that you joint to a faceplate ( think that in all the world is the same ) so in order to setup UTP to a jack you need a punch tool, maybe that´s a little preamble for that question and this will make it easier for you to understand.
  • jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Remember that you can build a mdf on your network using a patch panel or module jackets, there are ( the only ones i know) the ones that need a punchdown tool and the others that just with a little flip-on-top get punched.

:) sorry jeje that´s another explanation to that question.
    :)