CodeFellows?

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
Been doing some research on Python training courses and ran into this: https://www.codefellows.org/. They have have a 8 week immersion course and it costs 10k. They also have a job waiting for you and it pays 60k. Do not really want to be a coder though, just learn Python quicky for use in the security field.

ANyone attend or know some that did? It is based out of Seattle.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am always skeptical of ANY place that guarantees a job with paid training.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • JB3JB3 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Learn Python

Then pick up the book "Violent Python".
  • ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is very good. SO from a security standpoint doing something like: SOC Analyst, Incident Handling, Cyber Security, etc....how good do your coding skills need to be in order to be effective? I would imagine you would not need to build entire programs but know enough for scripting that can be used to accomplish security tasks suck as log parsing, port scanning, vulnerability testing, malware analysis and exploit development, etc..
  • JordanaGJordanaG Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there -- I manage Portland's Code Fellows campus. Just to clarify: there is no job waiting for Code Fellows students upon completion of courses. Code Fellows offers a job offer guarantee to graduates of its advanced courses (called "Development Accelerators").

Code schools have cropped up around the country in the past couple of years to try and help fill a need that computer science programs at colleges and universities can't hope to fill any time soon: There are more than 200+ job vacancies for programmers in the US. The schools have had incredible success, with very high placement rates (80-90%) at competitive salaries ($60k - 100k+).

Code Fellows has just expanded to Portland, OR and starts up the next round of courses in Feb. 2015. Please feel free to get in touch if you're interested and have any questions. There's an info session in Portland on Dec. 23 @ 7PM at Ristretto Roasters on NE Couch St. And lots more info sessions + course info listed here: www.codefellows.org/calendar
  • JordanaGJordanaG Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That should have read 200,000+ job vacancies (not 200).
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You nailed the coding required, enough to parse things quickly and to automate the tasks of the tools you use. As a computer user who I use to do work for would say, "know enough to be dangerous". Python is a pretty easy language to learn and it's very powerful. There are enough free resources out there that you could learn what you need without spending $10,000.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • cewingcewing Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Full disclosure, I am the instructor of the Code Fellows Python DA class mentioned by the OP.

Code Fellows guarantees that graduates will get a job offer within 9 months of graduation. So while we don't "have a job waiting for you", we do equip you with the technical and job seeking skills you need to do well in a new career.