Options

Switches and Bridges CCNA Question

nmilotnmilot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've taken dozens of different online exams over the past month from a handful of different sites. I'm seeing some discrepencies in some questions. One that I just noticed concerns switches and bridges. The question is:

What is typically true of switches and bridges?

One of the options I've seen a number of times is: "Switches typically have a higher number of ports than bridges."

Now I've seen some sites mark this as a correct option, and some mark it wrong. Which way is it?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you look at the purpose of a switch and a bridge, the answer to your question is very obvious. A bridge is used to connect networks, and a switch is basically an advanced combination of a bridge and a hub and is used to connect networks and hosts, like a hub. Hence, the latter has more ports i.e. 12, 24 or more even, and a bridge has 2 a the minimum.

Check out the following TechNotes for more information:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkcomponents.shtml
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    What is typically true of switches and bridges?
    "Switches typically have a higher number of ports than bridges."

Depending on the others answers I would have to agree, since a switch acts as a multiport bridge. I'm guessing other answers were things to differentiate switches, bridges, hubs and repeaters. Just understand the differances and uses of each device and you will be fine.
  • Options
    nmilotnmilot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response. I've seen that question come up a number of times in my transcender, and the "having more ports" selection has always been an answer. It wasn't until I saw it somewhere else as a wrong answer that I started to doubt myself.

thanks