One Month on the Job Staples "Certified Tech" Review + Community College Classes

fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Brief Background of myself I have an Associates in Criminal Justice, but recently decided to go the Computer IT & Security route that I will be taking next Spring Semester. So I took the time to do some self study and get my A+ I have always been pretty good with computers so it was simple. Anyway I was looking forward to my first foot in the door job and thinking this Staples position would be it...

From the Staples Website -
The Certified Tech must have technical skills and knowledge and will be required to repair computers as well as perform technical and system diagnostics and upgrades as needed.

Personal Review - Tech work is about 20% 80% if not more is all about selling the unnecessary ridiculously priced protection plans that they shove down your throat, or stocking shelves staying 2 hours after closing time.

Virus Removals are done through a special system called the "Matrix." A customer comes in saying they think they're computer has "viruses" we take a USB flash drive connect it to the computer and run an "Intake Scan" which is literally the freeware Malwarebytes, we run that and if infections are found we inform the customer that they have viruses and we can remove them for $150 Up-Front-Fee, This doesn't end here however if you want a "Total Support" package which covers either one year or two years of virus removals you have to pay $130 for the upfront virus removal that's currently on the system and then pay the fee of either $100 or $170(Great Deal for 2 Years!!) we then take the computer in and connect it to this "Matrix" which some guy gains remote access and cleans the system pretty much runs the same programs we can all get for free online. Turn around time can take up to over a week cause sometimes the other guys don't know what they're doing or how to resolve a simple solution especially in network configuration (setting dns and dhcp to obtain automatically or resetting proxies) As for the "On Site" I am supposed to be able to do those but we never sell any cause of the ridiculous charges on them but its essentially the same thing very basic install and soho installations.

Pro's of the Job - The Co-Workers, the people I work with are around my age (21) so we all usually have a good time, a lot of laughs and the managers are cool people too. A big plus to me is the customer service experience through phones and in person to help build social skills and other communication skills which is pretty important as-well.

Con's of the Job - Not the right experience I'm looking for unfortunately. ******* customers, and the biggest is other co-workers not doing their part and having to pick up their slack. Also lack of educated Easy - Tech co-workers most of them didn't even know how to install RAM, I felt like a doctor opening up a computer and installing RAM in a desktop with them all looking.

I've been there for a little over a month, and quite a few times, I have felt sorry for a few customers and told them I would do it for them on the side and they usually are happy as they pay less and all proceeds go to help my WRX STI fund. icon_cheers.gif anyway I have sent out my resume to other places and hopefully get a call soon! Never bring your laptop or desktop to get worked on at Staples
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the classes I will be taking at the Community College, one of the very few schools in Massachusetts that offer this program...

http://catalog.stcc.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=5&poid=1176&returnto=608

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My advice: Finish school and get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    My advice: Finish school and get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.
    without a doubt! wasting my studies it feels like, that is for sure! what do you think about those classes that my school offer?
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As long as the school is regionally accredited and the curriculum is interesting to you, you are good to go. Once you earn your associates degree you can pursue a bachelors in CS, IT, or whatever you happen to be interested in. Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got out of staples as soon as I got clean. 2014 was my wasted year. Switched to WGU from my traditional school and found a nice contracting gig. I now make double what I made at staples. I make 16 an hour now for five months until I have to find another contract position because unsure if they will hire me on. Your best bet is after your done with community college, switch to WGU and just do contracting IT work. Everything in the contracting environment is IT fully and you use your skills and don't waste them. Salary jobs are really hard to get unless you have tons of IT experience, I have found. Going to a traditional college is a waste of time for computer professionals unless your going for a Computer Science degree which involves a lot of programming and math.
    Armymanis1 wrote: »
    I got out of staples as soon as I got clean. 2014 was my wasted year. Switched to WGU from my traditional school and found a nice contracting gig. I now make double what I made at staples. I make 16 an hour now for five months until I have to find another contract position because unsure if they will hire me on. Your best bet is after your done with community college, switch to WGU and just do contracting IT work. Everything in the contracting environment is IT fully and you use your skills and don't waste them. Salary jobs are really hard to get unless you have tons of IT experience, I have found. Going to a traditional college is a waste of time for computer professionals unless your going for a Computer Science degree which involves a lot of programming and math.
    I looked into WGU and it seems with my community college classes I knock a good amount off to get a bachelor's, think I wanna focus on on security seems like the biggest most in demand IT field,
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was behind a woman in line getting her laptop serviced and was sickened by how much she was being shammed into paying and how long it was going to take. Almost thought about interrupting and telling her I could do it for free and in a few minutes. She ended up paying about $300!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    Cannot ststand this company any longer, ended up making business cards and handing them to people in an attempt to get a decent customer base, just side work and alot of studying for me, taking my 802 soon and will be starting school in two weeks!