Options

Advice on career path

MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So, long story short, I need to develop a plan at work to see where I see myself at in the next 1,2 and 5 years. Now, that could be moving into something more than just what I do today and am curious from those out there in other fields do and love. I could look at vmware, IT security, sys admin, dba or pretty much anything as they have a lot of growth and areas in IT.

I've been thinking on IT security or vmware, but would be interested in hearing more from those out there. Eventually I do know I want to get into management, but that would be the longer goal, and not a short term goal.

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are you interested in? Do you have a degree? What does your current position entail?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been thinking on IT security or vmware

Why are you thinking about Sec and VM?
  • Options
    Both really interest me and I feel would be a pretty good place to move into. Now that I'm in a position that I can grow in, they are interested in seeing me grow with the company as well.

Currently I'm running batch jobs/monitoring them and will be digging deeper into SQL and that of course is interesting, but not sure it's something that I'd LOVE doing.
  • Options
    I do have a BS in CIS as well.

Further down the road I'd want to be in management, but of course I want to be more well rounded overall.