Options

Is it worth being a jack of all trades

Hey all,

So as some as you may have seen I am currently seeking new employment. I work at a local computer repair shop, doing mainly virus removals, windows upgrades or downgrades, and hardware as well.

Looking at job listings I get the idea that I would almost have to be superman and be a jack of all trades to even get an interview. My question is what does everyone think about being a IT jack of all trades? Is it worth it or not? Thanks!
I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
[FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's really worth it early on in your career as you can gain a lot of knowledge. The problem with JOAT's is they don't usually get paid as well as they deserve and specializing is where the big money is. I'm mainly a JOAT in training right now and really looking forward to it. Depending on the size and structure of the MSP, they might be JOATs and those are looked at as the best entry-level job to gain experience for good reason, you see something different every day. Desktop is more laid back and you get to know people though and really my preferred position when I think about it.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Not if you want to make a serious career in IT. IMO you need at least an area to specialize in, preferably one you enjoy. Networking, Servers, Security, Visualization, Management. Then within these you can narrow it down.

First real IT is alway the toughest, unfortunately, you have to aim low and have a compelling story for someone to take a chance on me. I reached out to my employers formers SVP of IT asking for a meeting to just get some advice. We never got a chance to meet before he left for another company, however, he gave my name to the VP. Couple months later the VP contacted me on LinkedIn out blue because he had an opening on Desktop team.

They liked that I was aggressive and reached out to them first. I got offered the job during the first 10 minuted of meeting with VP, which was not even an interview, just a chat.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Yes it is worth it. Technology changes to quick to specialize. I've avoided low paying "specialized jobs" by having a broad skillset.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Learn everything you can. Have a voracious appetite. If you're good, then you're good, and the money will follow. If you're just OK, it doesn't matter if you specialize or JOAT to eternity...you'll only be just that.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you have to start out as a JOAT until you find what your good at and enjoy. It hard to say until you start working what you will prefer. I have known people that worked the same job for ten years and figured out they didn't like it only after they did something else for a while. Humans are creatures of habit which is one reason people stay places long after they have stopped learning.

Good Luck!