Options

cisco 1760 T5 router for a lab

den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do I start this off, not the router which I bought off eBay for 10 whole euro's, but the buying while a bit (lot) tipsy after my best friend's Ma had passed away and I had my first pint of black after 11 yrs after giving it up ( not a great Irishman, my old fella would spin in his grave) .. I don't even know if this router will be of any use in the Cisco lab I'm putting together (the right ios for eg).
can anybody put me right and tell me if I bought a dud or NOT??
Tia..

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I've seen/used those in a lab for a CCNA class I just had. As long as it boots up and works, then fine.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the 1760 isn't a great router for a lab, but not a bad one either. You can get them pretty cheap. But, they only have one 10/100mb lan connection so it can do interVlan routing, but you cant really do nat/pat with one.
    you will want 128D/32F for memory, and load the best and latest OS you can (12.4). put a couple of serial wics into it and you have a good basic router for studying for the ccna
  • Options
    den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    but you cant really do nat/pat with one.

Sure you can. It has WIC slots which you can install Serial or T1 cards in. I have a bunch of 1760s from my CCNA studies. I picked the 1760 because I had intended to continue on to Voice. Now that the prices have come down, I have replaced the 1760s with 1841s in my lab for CCNP. If price is your main concern, the 1760 is a good router.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]