Options

Storage+ difficulty?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those that have taken the Storage+ exam, how difficult would you say it is compared to the Network+ and Security+ exams? Also, how long would you guesstimate that it would take to prepare for this exam? I know that question depends on a lot of variables, but I am just looking for a rough estimate.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    I recently passed mine. It was the most boring cert test I've ever taken. It's all theory. Lots of theories. Way too much to memorize. Real life experience helps. Lots of materials. It can be a hard test depends on your background. 100 questions with 90 min time. I prepped up for 4 months before took the test. Good luck.
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What materials did you use to study?
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    7-day free trial available...

CompTIA Storage+ SG0-001 Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets

I haven't taken Storage+ (nor do I think I will) but I have passed Cloud+ (which has suggested pre-reqs of Network+ and Storage+). I felt like Cloud+ was probably the most comprehensive and analytical CompTIA exam yet - until I took the CASP.

I think Storage+ will probably be on the same level as that - except with more in-depth questions about High Availability (HA), latency and redundancy. That means lots of RAID situations and differentiating factors for the best-case implementation of FCoE, iSCSI and whatever else (SAN, NAS, VLAN, HBA, NIC-teaming). I took Server+ because it was/is on sale for $99 (and Cloud+/Project+ for that matter) after and I definitely felt a significant drop-off in difficulty.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    jmmussonjmmusson Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone on this thread used the Data Storage Networking book by Poulton? I'm trying to guage the realism of the practice questions that come with the book. I may take the exam this week but am not finding much in the way of reliable practice questions.
  • Options
    c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thinking about taking the SG0-001 in the next 2 weeks or so.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Just passed this today because I work for a storage vendor. I can definitely say it's a lot easier if you have enterprise storage experience. It was pretty much a walk-through for me because I've worked with fibre channel, iSCSI, etc.. I would recommend Nigel Poultons videos for those who are new. Overall though I would say it's about on par with most of the other CompTIA certs but I did find it more difficult than Network+ and A+.
  • Options
    c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tkerber wrote: »
    Just passed this today because I work for a storage vendor. I can definitely say it's a lot easier if you have enterprise storage experience. It was pretty much a walk-through for me because I've worked with fibre channel, iSCSI, etc.. I would recommend Nigel Poultons videos for those who are new. Overall though I would say it's about on par with most of the other CompTIA certs but I did find it more difficult than Network+ and A+.

Are you going for the SNIA SCSE? S10-210? I am trying to search for some study guide..and taking the exam in the next month or so.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Storage+ isn't too difficult at all, mostly memorization. The content is basically an entry-level overview of storage technologies (DAS, NAS, SAN, FC, iSCSI, etc) and vendor-neutral at that. It does go into a bit of depth, but nothing a few weeks of study time can't overcome. As far as difficulty goes, I found it on par to studying for the Security+, more or less.

I considered taking the SNIA SCSE cert at one point, and even called SNIA to inquire about it. I decided against it though for the following reasons:

1) It requires recertification (it expires after a few years)
    2) It's vendor-neutral, and therefore of only moderate benefit (if any at all)
    3) I can't find any job postings or descriptions that ask for it. Storage focused jobs want vendor-specific certs and experience like EMC and NetApp.

Ultimately I didn't want to invest time, money, and effort into yet another cert that expires and probably won't help to further my career at all. Such is the problem with vendor-neutral certs, I have found.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Storage+ isn't too difficult at all, mostly memorization. The content is basically an entry-level overview of storage technologies (DAS, NAS, SAN, FC, iSCSI, etc) and vendor-neutral at that. It does go into a bit of depth, but nothing a few weeks of study time can't overcome. As far as difficulty goes, I found it on par to studying for the Security+, more or less.

I considered taking the SNIA SCSE cert at one point, and even called SNIA to inquire about it. I decided against it though for the following reasons:

1) It requires recertification (it expires after a few years)
    2) It's vendor-neutral, and therefore of only moderate benefit (if any at all)
    3) I can't find any job postings or descriptions that ask for it. Storage focused jobs want vendor-specific certs and experience like EMC and NetApp.

Ultimately I didn't want to invest time, money, and effort into yet another cert that expires and probably won't help to further my career at all. Such is the problem with vendor-neutral certs, I have found.

Great to know I was thinking of taking that exam before it expires in January. The exam seems to be mostly theory based a lot of common sense alongside some terminology. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63