Options

Desktop support interview questions?

Wondering if anyone has gone through desktop support interview recently or send me some good links for some questions

Here is the job description
Experience
• Experience setting up computer workstations with all applicable software drivers, applications, and network client modules as typically acquired in 3 to 5 years.
• Minimum of 2 years experience in a customer service capacity.
• Programming, design, structured development techniques and analysis is desired.
• Multiple operating systems.
• Good working knowledge of Active Directory and associated file systems.
• Good working knowledge of network topology.
• Healthcare environment or 24/7 high availability work environment is desired.
• Office productivity software.
• General knowledge of ergonomics, space planning, and workstation configurations is desirable.
• Strong knowledge of quality control methods and understanding of problem identification and resolution analysis.
• Strong organization skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects and objectives in a rapidly changing environment.
• Work independently and as part of a team.
• Strong verbal, written, and presentation communication skills.
• Ability to articulate technical and user needs in a concise manner easily understood by all.

Comments

• Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I have with the past year, however my interview was not technical in nature, more personality and customer server focused. The job description is pretty vague.

The first line sounds like desktop support, but then saying programming, design and structure is off base.

In my opinon, unless the job pays very well, I'm not sure why someone with 3-5 years experience based on this job description would want to be desktop support.

Do you really need 3 years experience to set up a workstation? Do you have this 3-5 years experience?
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I regularly perform desktop support interviews and have a standard set of questions I ask. Here is my list:
    1) I keep trying to send an email to a vendor and they don’t see it. I never get an error back. How would you troubleshoot?
    2) I have the blue screen of death. How would you torubleshoot?
    3) My computer is running very slow after I installed some free software
    4) Outlook is freezing
    5) My Android stopped syncing the calendar, what do I do?
    6) A client calls in with no network access & getting a 169 IP. How would you troubleshoot?
    7) A user requested access to a Windows Fileshare. You thought you gave them access but they are getting Access Denied when trying to open the Fileshare.
    icon_cool.gif You open a web browser and navigate to Google. Walk me through everything that happens in the background (in the network)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've also interviewed a lot of people for similar positions. Some questions I asked revolved around:

- network trivia: DNS, DHCP, default gateways, APIPA
    - Office: Outlook issues, word, etc.
    - Virus cleanup (extra points if you mention isolating the host while investigating)
    - Prioritization - user A and B yelling at you that they want it fixed NOW!!. Who gets assistance first?

I always ask a purposely convoluted technical scenario involving an issue I encountered once. I preface by telling the candidate to ask any questions that would help clarify the scenario, the environment, or anything else. The incident details are also purpose vague in order to force the candidate to ask questions. First big red flag I'm looking for: not asking questions.

The ultimate solution to the scenario is something outside the scope of the position. My goal here was to see how the candidate would handle a situation that initially came in a a desktop support ticket along the lines of "my computer isn't working" but turned out to be a bigger widespread issue. The scenario gives me a good glimpse into how the candidate thinks as well as the troubleshooting process they follow.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    This is interesting. You guys are taking the exact opposite road I would with desktop support.

I'd hire for people skills first, not technical when it comes to desktop support. I feel that's way more important than any of these questions and would spend my time trying to figure that out.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Polynomial wrote: »
    This is interesting. You guys are taking the exact opposite road I would with desktop support.

I'd hire for people skills first, not technical when it comes to desktop support. I feel that's way more important than any of these questions and would spend my time trying to figure that out.

That's a fair point and I agree that people skills are more important than technical skills. That being said, when my SQL server crashes, no amount of people skills is going to fix that - only hard technical skills. I think the key is to find both in anyone that we hire. I won't hire a 20 year IT veteran if I don't think they are going to treat our clients, and their team members with respect, and all the other soft skills that make someone a people person. You should be evaluating people for both skill sets to have a well-balanced and successful team.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□

It is more important for an entry level position to have customer service skills, but at the same time you need a proper assessment of where they stand technically and how they are growing. And in a way it does help assess their people skills still based on how they answer the question.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Are you expecting you level 2 desktop guy or gal to manage your SQL server? Probably not. People skills first, they are probably going to be the face of the IT department. Level 1 is the voice, level 2 the face..
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840

besides general questions like how would you handle a difficult coworker/user? what other questions could I expect to here from?
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    cyberguypr wrote: »

- Prioritization - user A and B yelling at you that they want it fixed NOW!!. Who gets assistance first?

LOL, whoever is the director or the guy with the biggest paycheck? Atleast that's how it works in my company.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've interviewed a lot over the past two years and I ALWAYS get these two questions.
    1) Name one of your biggest successes in the IT field.
    2) Name one of your biggest failures in the IT field.