Options

Useful DCUI commands

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

what are some useful DCUI commands, I don't really see much in the Scott Lowe book on just a useful list of commands to know.

Any you guys care to share?

I see the 'service.sh restart' one having it's merits, any others?

Also see this isn't a normal linux shell you can't do 'ifconfig' or 'nano [file.extension]' but 'ls' and 'cd' work.

I'm poking around and I see a few things that could be useful like /var/logs/vmksummary.log is useful (viewing with cat, not sure if there is a nano like tool from ubuntu I think vi is the esxi one) to see things like heartbeat. also I finding this wrong with my host now in vmkwarning.log like what the frig does this mean: "2014-12-19T14:25:46.124Z cpu14:5353)WARNING: ScsiScan: 1276: Failed to add path vmhba1:C0:T2:L0 : Not found" - To me that's something to do with my iSCSI LUN for my NAS, but I just checked the host the LUN is mapped to the host so I'm thinking maybe this log was generated before the addon nic initialized that has the uplink to the iSCSI vlan and no errors are reporting in vCenter, is that a false positive?

I'm quite curious which one of these would be useful:

/var # ls
core db lib lock log opt run spool tmp
/var # cd /
~ # ls
altbootbank lib64 sbin var
bin local.tgz scratch vmfs
bootbank locker store vmimages
bootpart.gz mbr tardisks vmupgrade
dev opt tardisks.noauto
etc proc tmp
lib productLocker usr
~ # cd /etc/
/etc # ls
X11 krb5.conf (Kerberos?) profile.local
banner krb5.keytab protocols
chkconfig.db krb5.mkey random-seed
dhclient-vmk0.conf krb5.realms rc.local
dhclient-vmk0.leases likewise rc.local.d
dhclient6-vmk0.conf localtime resolv.conf - this one is DNS, nuff said.
dhclient6-vmk0.leases motd security
environment nsswitch.conf services
group ntp.conf sfcb
host.conf ntp.drift shadow
hosts ntp.keys shells
init.d openwsman slp.reg
inittab opt ssh
issue pam.d vmsyslog.conf
keymap passwd vmsyslog.conf.d
krb5.acl profile vmware
/etc #
/etc # cat resolv.conf
nameserver 192.225.225.14 - Physical DC box, Banana Pi
nameserver 192.225.225.16 - Virtual DC box
/etc # nano resolv.conf
-sh: nano: not found
/etc # apt-get nano
-sh: apt-get: not found
/etc # cat vmsyslog.conf
[DEFAULT]
size = 1024 - presume this is measured in kb's?
logdir_unique = false
loghost = <none>
rotate = 8 - what does this mean?
logdir = <none>

[vmsyslog]
rotate = 8
size = 1024

/etc # cat resolv.conf
nameserver 192.225.225.14
nameserver 192.225.225.16
/etc # nano resolv.conf
-sh: nano: not found
/etc # vi resolv.conf
nameserver 192.225.225.14
nameserver 192.225.225.16
~
~

I'm sure I'm getting really **** now but I want to touch every bloody part of the cluster before re-taking the exam. I want to own this stuff!

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Honestly, I don't really play in the DCUI except during initial configuration of the host. It's not really necessary unless you absolutely can't manage the host via SSH or vCenter, since you're stuck with basic tools. However, you can access DCUI via SSH which I did not know and sounds cool in theory. Also, you can view logs from DCUI as well.
  • Options
    Verities wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't really play in the DCUI except during initial configuration of the host. It's not really necessary unless you absolutely can't manage the host via SSH or vCenter, since you're stuck with basic tools. However, you can access DCUI via SSH which I did not know and sounds cool in theory.

Yup, you sure can. The above is a SSH connection via putty into one of the hosts in the cluster here at home. I'm just poking around and seeing if I can find things that could be useful.

been scowing the internet looking for useful commands to know, so far not finding many, just KB's from VMware on what DCUI is...
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Yup, you sure can. The above is a SSH connection via putty into one of the hosts in the cluster here at home. I'm just poking around and seeing if I can find things that could be useful.

been scowing the internet looking for useful commands to know, so far not finding many, just KB's from VMware on what DCUI is...

Here's another reference: vSphere documentation center
  • Options
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I found that reference as well, but I didn't link it because I don't know if you're going to be able to use most of those commands if the host is not associated with a vCenter or is removed/disconnected from a cluster.
  • Options
    Sweet found it, thanks Verities.

it all starts with 'esxcli'...