Options

Getting into NETWORKING ---- CCNA

tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
Hey All

I been looking for a community which will help me along this path and i think i found it. After stalking some post I was ready to make the leap and create an account to ask questions and get suggestions and feedback.

So a little about me, I've been in the IT field for about 5 years now, started with help desk 2 years and then moved into the database world where I've been for 3 years. Upon speak with a co-worker consultant friend we got talking and I mentioned i enjoyed networking and long story short he encouraged me to give it a shot and here we are.

So far I have gone through the coursework and finished ICND-1 using cbtnuggest Jeremy cioara (FANTASTIC teacher). For me I am a very visual learner and this worked well for me. So planning on taking ICND -1 end of Jan 2015

Also i plan on doing CCNA , CCNA Security and CCDA and CEH(after some time of course) (Please tell me what do you guys think about my path)

So why Am i boring you guys with my life story. Sorry I have some concerns about how to get into the networking world since I don't have any experience and would feel that employers would hold that against me. Also would I really have to get in at a junior position?(pay cut icon9.png ). The reason is so that I have a realistic expectation.

Also currently looking for a mentor who can help me through this process so if anyone out there please let me know.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my long post, any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Hey tecnodog, the certs you have listed look good for getting into the networking world except the CEH. Unless you are looking to go into security as an analyst or administrator, I would drop the CEH. For one you won't have the experience to avoid paying the $2500+ class, and it won't help you with your goal of getting into networking.

As for how to break into networking, the easiest way would be to use those certs to land an interview for a NOC position or Junior Network Admin position, and then show them that even though you don't have the experience, you have the knowledge, and someone will take a chance on you.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to learn about networking then start with Network+. Think about this, You go into a job interview with your CCNA and they ask you if the Demarc is in the IDF of MDF and you give them a blank look. I would at least watch the Professor Messer videos so you know the basics. You don't learn the fundamental basics doing any Cisco certs because they are implied that you already know them.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think Network+ is also reasonable but a lot of it depends on what you already know. We can't really assume anything but you might know a lot already.

As to the list of certifications. I think you should start with one and worry about the others as you go.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    Hey guys,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. I am going to first start with CCNA and take it from there. I know it will be difficult to get into the market, but the one benefit is that I already have a job so I am not desperate. I can hold out and go out interviews and practice and look for the job which I know will help me grow and pounce on that one.

As far as the CEH went, it was a recommendation from my co-worker which also didn't make sense to me at this point.

I looked at network + about 4 years ago so that's all evaporated from my brain. So i'm going to go back and do the ICND videos once more and then start doing practice questions. From the post i've been reading ICND 1 isn't going to be easy so wish me luck, and thanks guys for your help