Options

401 done!

tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed my 401 exam today and I'm not going to lie, it was tough. I got a great score on it (843), but there were very few easy questions.

Anyhow, I am now on to Network+ (I realize I did these backwards, but I'm going for CCENT after that so I wanted to do those together). I have the networking fundamentals from Microsoft and am much more comfortable with networking in general, so I hope to spend about a month or so watching the prof. Messer videos and setting up a virtual Cisco lab in the garage.

Comments

• Options
    catqueenbbcatqueenbb Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratulations. What materials did you use? I passed the Network + 2 days ago. I am now moving to the Security +. I used the examcram n-10-0005 book. It should be a piece of cake for you since you already know a few things in Networking.
  • Options
    Secret SquirrelSecret Squirrel Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, bro!
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations on passing :D as cat asked, what materials did you use? I have a passport to Sec+ book for the 401 and plan to use it after I pass my Net+. Best of luck on your Network+ :D
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had used the 301 get certified, get ahead book as it had a lot of good practice questions in it. http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-301/dp/1463762364

Then I read the 401 study guide to get brushed up on all the new concepts: CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: SY0-401: Emmett Dulaney, Chuck Easttom: 9781118875070: Amazon.com: Books

Then I watched the professor messer videos as well.

I also used Anki to make a ton (about 800) flashcards that I would daily just to reinforce certain concepts and get used to the acronyms.

The biggest thing I would say after taking the test is to know your acronyms, know what your cryptographic algorithms are used for, and know what different servers are used for. If you took Net+, that stuff should be easier, if not, be familiar with the OSI model and know your ports.
  • Options
    catqueenbbcatqueenbb Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you again. I am reading darill gibson's book: get certified ahead and it's really good.

I already got the A+ and the Network+.After the security +, I plan on taking the CCNA.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Apparently, we belong to some Security+ club now! Haha!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown