Options

CCNA Version 2 track

cisco_kidd20cisco_kidd20 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

So, as my previous post stated, I am studying to retake my ICND 1 and ICND 2. I took them back in 2011 and foolishly let it expire last month due to time constraints with multitasking a career and personal life. I was just presented with free vouchers to retake the CCNA again hence why my head are back in the books.

I have several years of basic Cisco experience in my previous jobs. I studied hard for the ICND 1 and 2 in 2011, and rereading the material for version 2, it seems very redundant to me. When I took the exam in 2011, although I had experience...the exam questions and topics were a bit involved and tricky. My question is, is it unusual that I'm finding the material very easy to comprehend this time around, and has the difficulty level of the exam compared to version 1 changed or should I expect the same level? I know there are some new things I need to go over, but besides that, can anyone share their experience?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Hi All,

So, as my previous post stated, I am studying to retake my ICND 1 and ICND 2. I took them back in 2011 and foolishly let it expire last month due to time constraints with multitasking a career and personal life. I was just presented with free vouchers to retake the CCNA again hence why my head are back in the books.

I have several years of basic Cisco experience in my previous jobs. I studied hard for the ICND 1 and 2 in 2011, and rereading the material for version 2, it seems very redundant to me. When I took the exam in 2011, although I had experience...the exam questions and topics were a bit involved and tricky. My question is, is it unusual that I'm finding the material very easy to comprehend this time around, and has the difficulty level of the exam compared to version 1 changed or should I expect the same level? I know there are some new things I need to go over, but besides that, can anyone share their experience?

Thanks in advance!

Anyone?
  • Options
    CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you just need a quick reference and an update on the new topics, you can get the exam objectives for each test for the Cisco website. If you are comfortable with the basics, you shouldn't need to re-read the entire book for each test (just the chapters related to the areas you are weak on). My suggestion would be to get the Chris Bryant CCNA Boot Camp course on Udemy (there is always some sort of special running to get it at a discount) and brush up on subnetting. This would be a good refresh with some examples (i.e IPv6 is on the new exam), plus his videos follow the exam objectives fairly close.
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never took the old one so I can not comment. However if you passed it once and worked with it for a couple of years I would expect everything to be familiar to you. Most people tend to forget the specifics very quickly after testing and need to review things like how the root bridge it determined.

If it is all coming very easy to you and you are passing the practice tests with 90+ then I would not worry to much about it.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Most have agreed that 2 is harder than 1 if you are coming from ground zero. Already having passed once it might not be harder for you after reviewing because you have already learned most of the topics and they are not brand new.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Included with my voucher were CBT's (not the nuggets, but customized CBT's for the school that's prepping me). They also gave me both Cisco Press books, I've been breezing through the "do I know this already" questions before every chapter. A little rusty but I can still subnet in my head. IPV6 and OSPF I heard are the extra things I need to touch on.

It's a a work at your own pace course with some preliminary things to do at home before you go in person and do labs. It's been a week and I'm almost done with ICND 1. I'm trying to get everything done before the end of Jan.

CCIE Wanna Be, I'll check out the Udemy vids, thanks for the referral. I also heard Boson is good as well, has anyone had experience with Bosons for both ICND 1 and 2?
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Included with my voucher were CBT's (not the nuggets, but customized CBT's for the school that's prepping me). They also gave me both Cisco Press books, I've been breezing through the "do I know this already" questions before every chapter. A little rusty but I can still subnet in my head. IPV6 and OSPF I heard are the extra things I need to touch on.

It's a a work at your own pace course with some preliminary things to do at home before you go in person and do labs. It's been a week and I'm almost done with ICND 1. I'm trying to get everything done before the end of Jan.

CCIE Wanna Be, I'll check out the Udemy vids, thanks for the referral. I also heard Boson is good as well, has anyone had experience with Bosons for both ICND 1 and 2?

Yes, I would recommend Boson (both simulator and practice exams), it's a little pricey, but most of the time they run either a 15%, 20%, or 25% discount sale, you can find it on their FB page. Also, IMO, the test are a lot harder (more detailed), than the real thing, though I only have ICND1 under my belt thus far (they even give you your money back if you don't pass), either way if you do well on these you should do well on the real thing (I would still review the exam objectives/topics).
    In Progress:
  • Options
    Yes, I would recommend Boson (both simulator and practice exams), it's a little pricey, but most of the time they run either a 15%, 20%, or 25% discount sale, you can find it on their FB page. Also, IMO, the test are a lot harder (more detailed), than the real thing, though I only have ICND1 under my belt thus far (they even give you your money back if you don't pass), either way if you do well on these you should do well on the real thing (I would still review the exam objectives/topics).

Thanks!!! Very helpful!
  • Options
    Sure thing, glad I could help!
    In Progress: