Options

How to talk to C-level

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone know of a good book, program, etc on how to effiectively talk to C-level? I'm going through a transition at work and I know this is 1 skill I'm lacking.
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "How to talk to Dummies": For Dummies

....ok, ok, here is a start http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2003/06/30/smallb4.html?page=all
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    "How to talk to Dummies": For Dummies

ROFL, thanks for making my morning.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This IMO is all about experience. I've been scolded by C's for being to in the weeds when providing solutions etc. Basically say as few words possible but make them mean a lot. They don't have time to listen to your rambling nonsense (no offense this is for anyone). They want the high level, risk, impacts etc.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I actually have a lot of experience with this.

Its really about telling them what exactly they need to hear, and nothing they don't. You need to figure out where that line is though. They already know the subtle things, so no need to state the obvious. (things like "I really appreciate your time" etc.)

And if you work with them on a recurring basis, you can actually benefit from developing a relationship.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very s l o w l y.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    PowerPoint with colorful graphs also helps.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    The sarcasm levels in this thread... =P
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    PowerPoint with colorful graphs also helps.

And pie charts. They love pie charts.

Really most the time I talk to them in a business oriented sense and not a technical sense. Like this is what we are looking to accomplish. Here is the impact. Here is the cost but here is the net gain. Etc. I talk to them no different than my boss just in a less technical manner.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    And pie charts. They love pie charts.

<Homer Simpson Voice>Mmmmm...pie charts!</Homer Simpson Voice>
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would say, work on talking to them in their language, in terms they can understand... it's very easy to 'pick' on C-levels for not having technical acuity, but it's our job to translate data and information into a format they can understand, appreciate, and utilize.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While not always the case, C Level people are often a type D on DISC tests which can help you to know what information they will be looking for and how to deliver it. DISC Profile Type "D" | Time Management and Team Motivation
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How embarrassing I am an "I".
  • Options
    vtradervtrader Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to talk in a very solutions/get it done way, not problems. ie "I believe doing xyz will solve issue abc and thus improve fgh".
    As mentioned already, unless they are from the same background avoid jargon, keep examples short and simple.
    Start conversations with I have a solution for this which will reduce that, do you have a moment? Instead of starting with "I know you are a very busy........
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Talk to them like you talk to an 8 yrs old kid. Remember you're not talking to a person, you're talking to an ego. Make them feel good about themselves, make them feel important, and never outshine them. Never highlight your achievements because they will try to compete with you.

I'm not even being sarcastic...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hard, valid, numbers that you can back up are what you want. I know if it fun to pick on C level people, but most are pretty smart, just not technical. Pick up some business books, maybe a book or two on risk. Keep your slide deck short and to the point - graphs or whatever, just make sure the numbers in the graphs can be backed up with real data. Metrics are also good, if they are valid and relevant. 30-20-10 powerpoint rule for big items, shorter otherwise.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Need to know your audience. When I brief the Director of my agency (CEO for civilians) I make sure I stick to the high level and keep the technical jargon as basic as possible. It is fairly easy to explain things to non-technical people if you prep yourself well. I like to think of it kind of like being a lawyer. They prep so they know what's going to be asked before it's asked. Thus do your research and prepare for questions they're most likely to ask.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Talk to them like you talk to an 8 yrs old kid. Remember you're not talking to a person, you're talking to an ego. Make them feel good about themselves, make them feel important, and never outshine them. Never highlight your achievements because they will try to compete with you.

I'm not even being sarcastic...

HAHAHA, this guy knows whats up.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    Obviously not a lot of love for execs here... And I must admit, I've seen all types in exec roles. There are some who were technical once and actually quite sharp. There are some who can only use buzzwords and you wonder how they ever got their job. But there is no book you can read or course you can take. I do recommend some of the training courses like Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters for general communication skills, but here's the thing: they will always tell you to know your audience. And the technical exec is very different from the buzzword exec. Figure out who you are talking to and what their interests are.

If there is one point of commonality it is this: they are almost always short on time. One of the better pieces of advice I got for presenting to execs is to frame your PPT in like this: why, what, so what. Why: Why am I proposing whatever it is I am proposing? What: What is it you are proposing to do? So what: What do you want from the exec? Money, people?

Another aspect, hard for me as a technical guy, is that they generally want the business case. OK, so you want me to commit time and resources to converting to IPv6. Why? Don't tell me it's about exhaustion of the v4 address space. I don't care. What is the cost if I don't do it, or what will it enable me to do? There has to be a non-technical case for almost anything.

A few points anyways I hope will be more helpful than a sarcastic response.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Something I am learning to do at the moment as well... Talking business is not always as easy as talking tech for us techies. The best advice I was given, don't sugar coat anything and be prepared to answer their questions on the spot. One thing the C level execs don't like, is someone unprepared and not able to answer questions when asked. But all of this comes with experience.

Also having the ability to pickup on when the leadership team is lost during your presentation is important skill to have. If you feel like you're losing their attention, you'll need to switch up your discussion to something they'll understand.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Point to the doll. "Show me where the CEO touched you.".
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »

LOL

"proactively conceptualize just in time manufactured products"
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am so using the BS generator for my next WGU paper! You'll see! LOL!!!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    ccie14023 wrote: »
    Obviously not a lot of love for execs here... And I must admit, I've seen all types in exec roles. There are some who were technical once and actually quite sharp. There are some who can only use buzzwords and you wonder how they ever got their job. But there is no book you can read or course you can take. I do recommend some of the training courses like Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters for general communication skills, but here's the thing: they will always tell you to know your audience. And the technical exec is very different from the buzzword exec. Figure out who you are talking to and what their interests are.

If there is one point of commonality it is this: they are almost always short on time. One of the better pieces of advice I got for presenting to execs is to frame your PPT in like this: why, what, so what. Why: Why am I proposing whatever it is I am proposing? What: What is it you are proposing to do? So what: What do you want from the exec? Money, people?

Another aspect, hard for me as a technical guy, is that they generally want the business case. OK, so you want me to commit time and resources to converting to IPv6. Why? Don't tell me it's about exhaustion of the v4 address space. I don't care. What is the cost if I don't do it, or what will it enable me to do? There has to be a non-technical case for almost anything.

A few points anyways I hope will be more helpful than a sarcastic response.

This I feel is key. The "W's" If you can keep these as brief as possible and save the indepth things for when they ask you for them.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    The Geek Gap is a good book on this. As many said know your audience, win credibility fast, state your problem and solution. C level folks are no different then anyone else.
  • Options
    sr2000sr2000 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Brief and to the point, talk in terms of risk, impact and value to the organization and make it relevant. Make your case with a problem and offer clear recommendation.

Engaging C-level, steering committee or board members are extremely valuable so take full advantage of it.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    dave330i wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good book, program, etc on how to effiectively talk to C-level? I'm going through a transition at work and I know this is 1 skill I'm lacking.

Book: "The NEW CIO Leader" by Broadbent/Kitzis
    Program: N/A
    Etc.: Join the borg. Go to socials that the C-levels attend. Read books that the C-levels read.
    Etc.: Know the core business. Know how the organization makes money. I know it's kinda lean-jargon-ish, but think "Value Stream". If you're working in a certain industry, make sure that you stay up on whatever trade journal they have. Travel to the industry shows, learn the product, etc.

If you're in Texas, here's the key to doing business: Go to barbecues and keep up with the pro leagues. (In some cases, you can substitute golf for barbecues.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)