Options

Certification and the web

unicunic Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I'm new here and looking for some advice.

To make a long story short, I'm trying to get back into the tech field after a 6-year absence. I do not have a computer science degree. My first job was supporting custom applications in an enterprise UNIX environment, and I've just spent 6 months helping a small startup developing web applications. I did all of their testing and documentation, as well as some development in VB .NET, SQL Server and a tiny bit of Javascript. I'm pretty comfortable in VB, SQL and UNIX/Linux but still a beginner everywhere else.

I plan to do the ITIL Foundation certification, but are there any other certs that are useful for web development? I'm very reluctant to spend time/money on random courses rather than certs. At least with certs, you know what you're getting and so do recruiters. I'm also willing to change career direction if it would prove better in the long run.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not in web development, but from everyone I've talked to, the best thing you can do for yourself is have examples of your work available. That in itself is like a cert in proving what you can do. With guys in networking or sys admin, they can't really build a website to prove what they know so that's why certs are so important.
  • Options
    unicunic Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's what I thought, but thanks. I do have access to a web server... what I don't have are ideas on what to put on it. My only real-world experience is in data storage/retrieval/massage -pretty standard stuff. I think I need to develop something more impressive to show.