Options

Future Prospects, career path

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey.

I've written this about 4 times in the last few weeks, thinking I have figured it out for myself and deleting it. I need to post this for my own sanity!

I recently gained my first proper IT job 3 months ago (NOC Technician). I did 6 months unpaid Helpdesk work before so was very lucky to get this job, considering I thought I would be in another Helpdesk role, always chasing a network position.
First performance review and I’m “exceeding expectations” and slowly being given more responsibility. I’d say very soon I would be bumped up into the NOC doing 12 hour shifts (day and night). I am going to college for the CCNA, the exam is in June (being on the course got me this job, but apart from the theory it’s completely unrelated for NOC work!).

I have a lot of options but each one will be life-changing. Originally I planned on going back to college part-time for 3 years to gain a Higher Cert (from quickly looking it up, it would be something a big higher than a High School Diploma).
“Higher Cert in Computer Systems” Linux, SQL, AD, some programming, CS stuff (would be filling a lot of gaps in my current knowledge). From this I can go get a Bach in IT Security.

I will be 32 once I have the Bach, and because of where this college is located, I will be tied to this job, or very few in the surrounding area (mostly NOC related as well).

I could alternatively work towards moving to the States (Texas comes to mind), avoid debt and just flow from experience, and even maybe go back to college once I've settled.

To summarize: Gaining a Bach in IT security that does not leverage from NOC experience or start a new life somewhere else with good prospects.

I think I am jittery because once I make the commitment to the Bach route, I am tied here for 3 years and servicing loans. It’s a big gamble. The only thing I have to lose it time, and maybe the perception that 32 is too old to trying to start a new life in another country.

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Kai,

As a fellow UK dweller I feel your pain (similar age too) I've been doing system admin work but want to branch into networking roles and enrolled to start CCNA next Feb as an evening college course. Congrats on the NOC gig by the way- something I am looking to get into.

32 is definitely not too old anyway so dont worry about that, as someone a bit more tied down with a wife and kid I would say if you get the opportunity to start a new life somewhere else go for it mate or you will regret it later on. Also from my experience in the field certs and experience tend to be highly regarded whereas a higher cert in computer systems isn't so much (plus you have the debt side of things if you go down that route). Go smash the CCNA and see if your current employer will help pay for courses etc until you feel ready to make the leap elsewhere. Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,
    Craig
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Chev!

My employer will pay for courses but I have to sign a 2 year contract to stay with the company, or pay the full fee if I leave before that timeframe. The issue I would have is convincing them that its beneficial to the job (could swing it, but would be a hard sale).

NOC Engineer with 2 years experience and a Bach in IT Security and Digital Forensics. There is some leverage but I guess that's why people go to college in the first place, would add to overall experiences.

I keep seeing the next 4 years as a linear path regarding work, college etc, which is far from the truth. If anything, if I do the Bach and save, I would be in a much better situation for moving anywhere rather then having a mad adventure to Texas and end up doing helpdesk or something.

Anyway, I'm a bit jaded. Christmas Stress! I have months to decide on what I want to do. Thanks again for replying :)
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahh the old sign away for 2 years trick.....to be fair if you like it where you are and the people etc that might not be a bad way of doing it. Like you say you can study and progress your career getting great experience then try moving away once you have more skills and cash behind you?

Anyway have a chill over Christmas mate!!!!! Drop me a message or whatever if you want to bounce ideas around as I am looking at a similar career path (just not the degree) and it is nice on here to speak to someone fairly local (compared to the other side of the world, lol) And yes I am rinsing TE at the moment as work is dead!
  • Options
    It shouldn't be too bad. Alot can happen in two years. One of the NOC Engineers is doing his Masters in IT Security, he loves it here because the 12 hour night shifts are quiet and you have more then enough time to study (before the 4am wall hits you, then its staying awake at all costs).

Its a good job. Lots of exposure to alot of WAN tech/products, but many people here see it as a stepping stone. There is a big company-wide pay review soon to try and stop that so might of joined at a good time. There are alot of external factors as well which add weight to this but like I said, they only really come into it if circumstances as they are don't change over the next few years (which is impossible). Only way is up!

If the employer will pay for even the first year, then that would pretty much settle it. Would be insane if they did.

Will let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    My suggestion: You are far better off pursuing experience and certifications than burdening yourself with debt for an academic degree. This from someone who has a technical M.S., two CCIEs and a JNCIE. The latter have proven far more valuable than the M.S. and were far less costly. If you don't have a Bachelor's degree yet, and you really need it for jobs later down the line, you can always do an online degree for an accredited university and not be tied down to location.
  • Options
    professionaleprofessionale Banned Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats good to hear matey
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same age here (or will be next month :)) and am almost 5 years in to my IT career. I've made way up and comfortably over the average annual wage here in Ireland and have got some good benefits to go with it. Due to the certs I've acquired over the past 2 years, I regularly get requests to discuss roles and occasionally I'll test the water on what I want as my salary :) Things are good here, sure rent is high but IT is very much in demand.

In terms of what you should be pursuing, get your CCNA. That's your first focus. It still holds a lot of weight when doing interviews because of Cisco's monopoly as well as a good knowledge of general networking. It most certainly is a step up in terms of difficulty from CompTIA/MTA but it is not impossible. Order the books now and you'll be set for the new year. When I did it, I started casually in January and eventually finished in early August. I could've easily knocked off 3 months with more focus.

ITIL foundation is another valuable cert, it gives you a good grounding on IT service management. Shouldn't take you too long to complete, at most 1 month. A lot of companies are implementing ITIL (or similar) and it shows you've an interest (even if you don't, it's boring as hell) in how the service mgt side of things work.

Linux+/LPIC1 - Since getting this, I've got a higher standard of company approaching me on LinkedIn (think high end Multinational online companys) who are seeking people with a good knowledge of networking/linux. I've provided my salary requests from them and they're all touting more then what I'm on now with better benefits. Things are clearly very healthy in our small market here in Ireland. I've a review coming up soon and you can be sure I'll be mentioning the figures presented to me.

In relation to your BSc, I started mine in September. A lot of work involved but I'm enjoying it. It's as much for my CV/Resume as it is for me personally, I never went to college as I wasn't sure wtf I wanted to do when I was leaving school so just kind of drifted in to finance. Now that I'm in a career that I really enjoy and love, I want to ensure I'm never short of credentials should an opportunity arise. If/when I graduate, I'll be pursuing an MSc provided the boss at home gives approval ;) Education may get you an interview, experience will seal the deal.

In relation to financing education, I paid for all of the above myself. It's an investment in myself and it's paid big dividends with more to come. I did pursue my current employer for funding for my BSc but they weren't keen on it (don't seem to keen on it with anyone) but I'm glad they didn't as I wouldn't like to be tied down to them (or anyone else for that matter)

Those 3 certs above are more than achievable in 2015 and will get you well on the way to a decent job and salary here in Ireland. If you need me to go in to specifics, just drop me a PM, more than willing to share. In terms of the company were you are, they've got a huge amount of technology and as has been said to me by other people there, they're vastly improving their culture so staying for a couple of years (tied down or not) may not be a bad thing.

One more thing that can get overlooked, the type of company you have worked for will aid or hinder your application for jobs. While I was self employed for 3 years initially, I was lucky enough to work for a huge multinational firm and am now in another. Knowing how "big business" function/operate can be as valuable as having certs on your CV.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity