Options

Hsrp & glbp

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have difficulty picking out the differences between these two protocols and I am afraid that will come back to bite me.

Any tips for me?

There is a nice chart here:
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/42814

But that just emphasizes my point, they look very similar on paper.

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    The main difference is that GLBP supports multiple forwarders, achieving load balancing natively.

Also, you have different MAC addresses for the virtual IP, different protocol ports, and so on.

They were created to achieve almost the same thing (vrrp on the list too) which is to provide first hop redundancy, but operating in distinct ways.
  • Options
    tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    The main difference is that GLBP supports multiple forwarders, achieving load balancing natively.

That would be the biggest difference. Also note that both HSRP and GLBP are Cisco proprietary whereas VRRP is not.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) , Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP) The main difference is that GLBP can do load balancing without the group configuration that HSRP use. HSRP uses “Standby” for it command and GLBP use “glbp” for it command.

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That helps, I just didnt know if there was a real big glaring differences I was missing.

I just finished my last Boson sim, 823/1000...50% on IP services, so my weak spot is identified now.
  • Options
    streetkingstreetking Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The way to configure tracking for failover is different. HSRP IIRC only supports basically just interface tracking for decrementing priority whereas VRRP and GLBP supports tracking "objects/ip sla" which you can configure with icmp echo/reply and ip routes for decrementing priority to failover.
    I believe they are above CCNA level however Jeremey Ciora did cover them in his CBTnuggets CCNA 200-101 videos.