Options

Opinions: Is this a good intro on a cover letter?

mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm brainstorming ideas to spice up my cover letter and maybe add some personality and make it memorable. As the bland and professional approach isn't working too good so far.

I sort of brainstormed this idea, of starting a cover letter sort of like this.

"In the interest of best safety practices, before reading my resume, please set down your coffee, firmly plant your feet, and hold onto your desk tight. Because there's a chance my resume might just be so epic, that it could blow you out of your chair."

I just don't quite know how that sounds to other people. Is it funny and playful and likely a good ice breaker to break up the professional monotony? Or does it just make me sound like some sort of arrogant, high ego, douche and/or possibly set the bar too high for the entry level experience that's on my resume?

Or if that particular one isn't good, in general do you think bits of humor, or ice breakers belong on a IT cover letter?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've always worked in very serious/formal areas such as pharma, banking,and healthcare. As someone involved in hiring, if I see something like that I would immediately think "cool, but wrong audience".
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will be cutting out many HR/recruiters who are just glancing looking for keywords. It might catch someones attention but ideally you can show your wit and humor at the interview.

Cover letters are tricky, you want to stand out but standing out too much can be a liability. You could try it for awhile and see how it goes, but I think the general consensus is to woo the employer with what they want on the cover letter, show them your who they want when your meeting them face-to-face.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You are insane my friend. But it is so damn crazy/stupid it might work....Prob not, but try it out...
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I would so at least meet the guy who wrote that.

But its just my personality. ;)