Options

Salary check for Cyber Intel job?

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am having a hard time finding the salary of a typical Cyber Intelligence Analyst in the Reston, VA area. I checked the usual sources but no luck. Here is the job desc:

Description

The Senior Cyber Intelligence Analyst will play a critical role in all aspects of research and analysis as well as in core organizational activities of the Intelligence Community Incident Response Center (IC-IRC). The Senior Analyst is responsible for providing support to decision makers and Watch Officers by fusing information from many different sources to create relevant and timely intelligence products. The Senior Analyst is part of an integrated team and engages in project planning, primary and secondary research and analysis, as well as reviewing and analyzing information provided by the client and/or developed by the team. As a member of the IC-IRC contract team, the candidate will be expected to collaborate closely with the IC-IRC Watch floor, external IC elements, the National Cybersecurity Centers, Department of Defense and other Federal/Civilian entities to ensure successful mission accomplishment with the intention of meeting and exceeding the IC-IRC's long-term goals and mission.

Essential Responsibilities:
  • Oversee IC-IRC projects and provide project management, planning, and guidance as necessary
  • Conduct open-source and classified research on emerging/trending threats and vulnerabilities
  • Create finished, all-source intelligence assessments for inclusion in various Agency and IC intelligence products
  • Collaborates with the watch floor to ensure continuity of fusion analysis
  • Perform analysis related to the detection, characterization, monitoring and warning of suspected unauthorized network activity and relationships that may pose a threat
  • Initiates projects and plans leveraging broad research and analysis that affect cyber network defense
  • Initiates and organizes new administrative procedures in intelligence collection, production and dissemination
  • Assesses unforeseen developments, new phenomena, and difficulties encountered, and recommends changes in direction and approach
  • Provide rapid response to ad hoc requests from decision makers (e.g., special intelligence analyses or personal briefings)
  • Develops analytical tools and methodologies to fill present gaps and address future gaps
  • Reviews reported tips and leads for threat information and situational awareness, including determining location, activity, severity and reporting trends
  • Compares and contrasts new data with information already in intelligence databases; seeks corroborative data; assesses individual pieces of information in the context of broader assessments or operations; and disseminates significant intelligence as appropriate
  • Leads cyber, technical or analytical teams within the IC-IRC
  • Create releasable products and reports for the IC as well as IC Senior Leadership
  • Leverage existing business processes and where necessary define and document new repeatable business processes and procedures
  • Disseminates, researches and responds to requests for information (RFIs)
  • Performs other related duties as assigned
  • Keeps abreast and knowledge of IC IE Architecture
  • Understands risks and threats to IC IE and how it relates to the IC ITE
Minimum Requirements:
  • Must possess and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance
  • Must be able to obtain and maintain a polygraph; active TS/SCI with CI Polygraph preferred
  • Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Assurance, Computer Security, or equivalent (Master Degree in a related field is desired)
  • 10+ years experience in All-source analysis and production
  • 5+ years experience with Intelligence Fusion
  • Have at least five years of experience in the IC; working with IC elements
  • 5+ years experience leading analysis teams
  • Be an expert in information security incident handling
  • Experience with Cyber Intelligence Analysis and Cyber Fusion
  • Communicate succinctly and directly in oral and written presentations and documents, adhering to length, quality, audience and timeliness constraints
  • Experience with RSA Archer vendor products extremely valuable to customer
  • Must presently be 8570 compliant (IAT Level 2 preferred); must be 8570 compliant (IAT Level 2) by date of security indoctrination with any necessary continuing education (CE) for certification

There is also a mid level position that want 5 years exp...

Comments

• Options
    BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Unfortunately these days intel salaries are a bit unpredictable. Older contracts still pay decent amounts, but rates on recent awards are pretty significantly down. I left the DMV and that field specifically because of it. I saw similar positions at the midlevel paying $80-90k under the previous award start offering high $40's-low $50's. Companies are in a race to the bottom as the government has started awarding work to the lowest bidder without other consideration.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    D113D113 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you already had the TS/SCI with CI poly, I would think $90-110K.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have worked with an outfit that does cyber intel. Thier pay was from the GS12-13 level with the senior being a GS-14. As far as a contract job for the gov the pay would be determined on exp.

...Correction GG not GS as they cannot have a union
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The thing with many Intel positions, the Government will end up converting you to a GS/GG.

Typical salaries in Reston for that type of work is about 75k-120k. That would be a mid-senior level.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    90-110 was my initial guesstimate. I wonder if this position benefits from the cyber boom initiative? I know alot of the intel specific jobs had seen some pay cuts and I remember an interview a couple weeks back with a recruiting firm about a DNI or digital network intelligence job and told her I am looking for 90-120k. She said wow and was surprised with that range, I am slowly shifting to cyber security because I feel there are more overall positions with the gov and in the private sector vs with intel jobs that are only in with gov contracts.

I think many of the contracts are being awarded as lowest cost technically acceptable vs best value where other factors like past performance are taken into consideration.
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I think many of the contracts are being awarded as lowest cost technically acceptable vs best value where other considerations like past performance are taken into consideration.

Nail on the head. And technically acceptable is a very fungible term. I moved over to cyber security and got a big pay bump and much jealousy from my former coworkers.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN