Options

MSP-IT - Job Update

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well friends, I couldn't have done it without you. As of last Thursday, I was able to accept what seems to be a dream position.

While the going through the OSCP labs, and with much careful deliberation, I decided to move away from penetration testing and shift my attention (ruled my serious personal interest) toward the innovative/analytic side of infosec. Data science, and machine learning specifically, has taken over quite a bit of my thoughts. With the current trends of DS and ML in research, I think we're at a fairly pivotal point in technological history that [I think] is about to change the world; I really want to be a part of that. That being said, as some of you may have noticed from my recent posts about looking for a new job, this promotion from my current employer couldn't have come at a better time.

While I can't disclose too much, my new position is on a brand new team within our organization that is focusing on strategy and innovative technologies within the security realm. My movement up the corporate "food chain" is substantial. While I'll keep a relatively realistic outlook, the potential to move to some type of management within the next few (5 -7) years is fairly great. As for the role itself, I'll be considered to be a part of the senior architecture team (reporting to the SVP and/or C-level, not sure yet), though not as an architect. Conferences, research, and departmental collaboration are my primary duties. As of right now, I'm the first and only member of the team that's not VP/SVP level management. Needless to say, I'm jazzed.

I was looking for the salary/position thread in the forum, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it went?

Position: Security Strategy and Innovation
Industry: Finance (Fortune 150)
Certifications/Degrees: B.S. IT, Advanced Computer Security Certificate - Stanford, Associate ISC2 - CISSP, SSCP, CCNA, etc.
Salary: TBD

> be me
> get dream job
> mfw

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats MSP! I was going to ask you about your new opportunity when I saw your post in the OSCP thread. That salary/position thread was hidden due to some off topic chat. I have previously pinged the mods about cleaning it up and reposting it. I am hoping they will. Good luck in your new role. Sounds like a really great opportunity.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    That salary/position thread was hidden due to some off topic chat. I have previously pinged the mods about cleaning it up and reposting it.

That's unfortunate. That was really beneficial for motivation.

And thanks!
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations! What a way to start the 2015!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and it's nice to see your decision to pivot paid off, did you have a feel from the company that it would? I'm switching to wgu network admin from security for my job, hoping to become the sys admin about 6 months into the field but that may not come with much of a bump in pay. They've been paying a guy ~$1000 a week part time to run the network and he's quitting, hopefully at least some of that falls into my pocket.

I'm in the MSP area as well and asked about security jobs in the area, I think you said the field was terrible around here which further reinforced my switch at wgu.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. Sounds like a great opportunity.
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Congrats and it's nice to see your decision to pivot paid off, did you have a feel from the company that it would? I'm switching to wgu network admin from security for my job, hoping to become the sys admin about 6 months into the field but that may not come with much of a bump in pay. They've been paying a guy ~$1000 a week part time to run the network and he's quitting, hopefully at least some of that falls into my pocket.

I'm in the MSP area as well and asked about security jobs in the area, I think you said the field was terrible around here which further reinforced my switch at wgu.

There really wasn't a question as to a promotion, which is great. The company really values vertical movement, but doesn't force it. As for the salary increase, there will be some discussion, but I'm not sure how much of a bump I'll be getting; it is an internal move, so I'm expecting there to be a limit. Realistically, I'm hoping to expect 60k, which would be a 25% increase.

It sounds like you have a decent opportunity as well. I know MSPs can accelerate one's career pretty quickly.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats MSP-IT. Looks like your hard work is paying off.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!

I can tell you that the CISO equivalent I worked under just got a job working in a security architect role for a big laboratory and research center. He makes BIG bucks now and deals with not only emerging technologies, but proprietary research technologies from the company. He works alongside physicists, cryptologists, engineers and mathematicians…So go figure…Funny thing is that I also accepted a role in the same arena, but more gov related. There is alot of upward mobility in this arena...

….Good luck! Learn much and play more
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! I know you were looking to go that route. I am glad you were able to get the job you wanted!
  • Options
    professionaleprofessionale Banned Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MeanandMeanand Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Congrats!

I can tell you that the CISO equivalent I worked under just got a job working in a security architect role for a big laboratory and research center. He makes BIG bucks now and deals with not only emerging technologies, but proprietary research technologies from the company. He works alongside physicists, cryptologists, engineers and mathematicians…So go figure…Funny thing is that I also accepted a role in the same arena, but more gov related. There is alot of upward mobility in this arena...

….Good luck! Learn much and play more

This sounds fairly similar to what I'll be doing, but more aligned to business needs.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Cool beans. I know you posted about it but do you feel the Cyber from Stanford made a difference?
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    There really wasn't a question as to a promotion, which is great. The company really values vertical movement, but doesn't force it. As for the salary increase, there will be some discussion, but I'm not sure how much of a bump I'll be getting; it is an internal move, so I'm expecting there to be a limit. Realistically, I'm hoping to expect 60k, which would be a 25% increase.

It sounds like you have a decent opportunity as well. I know MSPs can accelerate one's career pretty quickly.

Actually I'm not working at an MSP, but working in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area. It complicates MSP job searches around here a lot but I made due. Does your nick relate to the latter?

60k is comfortable living in most places around the area. I'm aiming for 45k by 2016, 60k by 2017 but money isn't that much of a priority for me. More the enjoyment of doing the job, I'd be pretty happy working 30 hours a week at $30 an hour. Which is probably more realistic then the full 40 at my current position.

I'm doing desktop support transitioning into a sys admin. More generalized than an msp but I get to know the people I work with, which is important to me. An MSP could teach a bit more by dealing with many different environments but it seems to add a lot of stress and probably wouldn't accelerate my career any faster.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Actually I'm not working at an MSP, but working in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area. It complicates MSP job searches around here a lot but I made due. Does your nick relate to the latter?

60k is comfortable living in most places around the area. I'm aiming for 45k by 2016, 60k by 2017 but money isn't that much of a priority for me. More the enjoyment of doing the job, I'd be pretty happy working 30 hours a week at $30 an hour. Which is probably more realistic then the full 40 at my current position.

I'm doing desktop support transitioning into a sys admin. More generalized than an msp but I get to know the people I work with, which is important to me. An MSP could teach a bit more by dealing with many different environments but it seems to add a lot of stress and probably wouldn't accelerate my career any faster.

My nick relates to MSP area. I guess I misunderstood your post. Though it won't be relevant soon here, as I'm relocating to Denver in mid-Feb.

Yeah, as time goes on, money is becoming less of a priority. Once I have my student debt paid off, it'll take back shelf to how much I actually enjoy the job.
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Cool beans. I know you posted about it but do you feel the Cyber from Stanford made a difference?

No, not really.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! It's always nice to hard work paying off.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Congratulations, I also live in the Twin Cities and am curious as to your move to Denver. How's the market there? I know the weather is great and it's a beautiful state to live in.
  • Options
    tkerber wrote: »
    Congratulations, I also live in the Twin Cities and am curious as to your move to Denver. How's the market there? I know the weather is great and it's a beautiful state to live in.

The market seems to be equally as strong, if not more so. I'm a bit disillusioned with the amount of healthcare jobs in the Twin Cities, as I'm really trying to stay out of the industry. Overall industries seem to be much more evened out in Denver. The weather and amount of sunshine is also phenomenal. I moved back to the Twin Cities back in 2012 and have been trying to move back to Colorado ever since.