Options

Prep for CCNA/CCENT

Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've enrolled to study the CCNA at a local college part time next year(runs into year after too) but would like to do a little prep work as networking is a weaker area for me to address and progress my career, especially as work is going to be quiet for the next few weeks :)

Just to add I want to take this approach as the course is fairly cheap and I will find it easier to stay motivated with people around me and goals to work towards- really struggled trying to do the MCSA off my own back to be honest so personally think it's a good move.

I've had a quick look at Paul Browning's material and Chris Bryants too- even the course is cheap on Udemy and his book is really cheap on the kindle so considering getting that. Any of you here used it, like it? useful etc?

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    Chris Bryants videos are awesome and can definitely recommend it. It is a little dryer than CBT nuggets but I prefer Chris Bryants videos as he goes a lot more in depth than CBT nuggets. At the time I was doing CCNA Christ Bryants new videos based on ICND100-101 and ICND200-101 was not out yet so I used the Cisco Press Official Cert Guide as my primary reading material and supplement it with CBT nuggets and labbing than before the exam I used Todd Lammles study guide for review. I prefer the Official Cert Guide but that is just me while other people like Todd Lammles book more.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find it very hard to concentrate with Chris's videos VS CBT nuggets. Its so dry. Suppose you can say the same for INE.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, definately going to get his book as its like £3 on kindle at the moment and his course is really cheap on Udemy so worth a go I think for the low low price it's at? Will also get the 'official' Cisco book to help on my Cisco journey!
  • Options
    _Gonzalo__Gonzalo_ Member Posts: 113
    Please, take the following as just advice from a very different perspective!

If I understood correctly, your CCNA prep course is going to last more than a year. I did my CCNA and my CCNP in less than 5 months, so I can´t even imagine how to span just CCNA over such a long period. You need to be prepared for a lot of theory, to start with (all CCNA module 1 is basic theory, and, according to your course´s plan, you´ll likely spend months with it)

I used Cisco CCNA official books myself, but mostly I relied on my teacher. If you want to prepare, you will be facing a lot of abstract ideas that will probably be easier for you if you have a teacher to talk to, who can answer your questions and direct you properly. And you will have months for that!

So, mi advice: Gather materials, check them out, but don´t get too anxious about it. You´ll have all the time you will need for starting up during the course.

Regarding materials:

Theory:
    I don´t believe that the books you use will make a real difference at that level, but I would go for Cisco official ones, as Cisco is the most reliable source for their own exams. I was given my Cisco books for free on the course I did, so make sure that your course does not include free books (or recommended books) before spending money on anything.

Practice:
    Packet Tracert. You are going to use it, and it is best that you do it sooner rather than later. Maybe you can download it (it´s free) and start getting familiar with it. I´d also recommend that you start up building your own labs as soon as possible. Guidelines are all very well, but it is extremely useful to have your own topologies created to understand what you are studying. I started designing topologies as soon as we were studying module 2. And every time I look at my initial topologies, I laugh at the concept of network I had. But it is a nice way to prove yourself how much you have learned!

Best of luck with it!
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply and advice _Gonzalo_ I am not really anxious just wondered if there was anything useful I could read/watch to get something productive done during a quieter time during work before the course starts. It is basically an evening course but one night a week (fits well around work and family committments) hence it taking so long but as you say it will give me plenty of time to get up to speed in the Cisco world- my work experience etc so far has been Microsoft orientated.

Deffo going to get packet tracer downloaded to have a play with and brush up on my subnetting as well in the meantime
  • Options
    Well, that anxious part was not really based on your post, as I don´t believe you are. I would be! :)

Subnetting is a must, so it´s good that you get your dust off it.

About PT, I don´t know your level at the moment, but even if you knew nothing, you can at least learn how to navigate it.
    You can also check stuff at layer 1, as PT has an option to choose the right cable to connect whatever devices you want. This way you´ll see which cable type can connect hosts, and any other devices that belong to different layers.
  • Options
    Thanks dude I will get on it, I normally get no time to do anything else but work at work but it is totally dead now so may as well use my time constructively :) and I am a noob to PT to answer your question, lol.
  • Options
    and I am a noob to PT to answer your question, lol.

:)

I meant your level at networking. Depending on what you know, you´ll be able to do much more than placing devices and seeing which cable connects what. In any case, I´m sure you will find PT incredibly useful!
  • Options
    Ha ha, Networking knowledge is fairly basic to be honest as I've always been more involved in the desktop and server side so really looking forward to picking up new knowledge and skills on the router and switch side and landing a job doing more of that too. Just having a look over PT so going to be playing around with that for sure- thanks again for the advice :D
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took Cisco classes as part of my associates degree. It was all Cisco's online content in four modules. It goes more in depth then the test does but that's a good thing. I would recommend three things if you want to get a head start.

As Gonzalo suggested find and try out packet tracer. It is great for the early learning and easy to use. Practice watching the packets move in the simulation mode as this is very useful for troubleshooting later on.

Practice subnetting at subnetting.net - Subnet Questions and Answers
    Don't worry if you don't understand it at first after an hour or so of reviewing the answers it starts to click and you will get a lot faster.

Watch a video series. Chris Bryant is boring but I watched most of it and ordered his CCNP videos when they were on sale. he runs discounts often that make the courses around 20-30 US dollars. I started with reading but I was getting slowed down trying to understand every little detail. I later switched to watching a video series to see what I was going learn and then reading to comprehend it after. I found the reading much faster when I had an idea where it was heading.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips Jon, much appreciated! Been having a play around with packet tracer following Gonzalo's advice and learning on the subnetting.net site too- very useful! I managed to pick up Chris Bryant's CCNA book and video course for next to nothing in the sales so think I should be well prepared for starting the course and nailing the fundamentals of Cisco networking :)