Options

which qualification to become a computer programmer?

p-coderp-coder Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a bachelor's degree in Linguistics, and I am interested in becoming qualified as a computer programmer especially in areas related to language. One option that I have is to go back to school for an additional degree. Would it be necessary to get a bachelor's degree in computer science or are there other options available such as getting certifications or an associate's degree?

Comments

• Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    The ability to code is the first qualification. I have friends who have no degree and are successful developers.

Only time you will need the piece of paper is if the company policy requires it. And your current bach might even meet that requirement! If you have the ability to self-teach I'd do that.

Some good advice I have seen is to start up a portfolio. Write programs and show them to potential employers so they know what you can do. Do freelance work on the cheap.
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Pick a core language and write code, no degree required.

If you look at job posts they'll have common requirements such as understanding software design lifecycle methodologies, debugging, use of github or other code management tools, etc.

You can take courses online for free, or your local community college, and focus on a few select classes to augment your current degree. Just tell future employers you did x, and transitioned to y as a career change. If you can make a valid case they'll pick you up, but you'll be starting at the bottom as an entry level / intern.

If you can sit down and write an application in a staple language that interacts with a database you'll find employment.
  • Options
    Thank you both for the advice. There is a short certificate in Mobile Applications Development at a nearby community college that I will look into. In addition, I could begin learning a core language on my own.

Practically speaking, how can I do the self-directed study? Do I just buy some instructional manuals and get to work? Where can I find the free online courses? Are there any courses I could buy that would help me learn a core language and pass certifications for it?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you want to make a career out of being a programmer then you need a degree in Computer Science, everything else is second rate compare to that degree.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Would it be accurate to say that a second rate qualification is enough to begin working? Unless it is really necessary to get a degree in Computer Science at the outset, I would not mind taking an alternative path to competency while allowing for the possibility of getting the degree at a later time.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    p-coder wrote: »
    Would it be accurate to say that a second rate qualification is enough to begin working?

Absolutely, but getting your first few jobs will be much harder and the pay may be less compared to someone with a CS degree.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    fredmoofredmoo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    being a good programmer / developer requires much more than just being able to write code. i've seen people who write a + b = c or throw a bunch of plugins / modules together and sometimes it happens to work and they call themselves developers. no, you're not!

the following are skills i think are relevant:

* ability and understand algorithms
    * critical & abstract thinking
    * problem solving
    * ability to think outside the box

if you're able to come up with an algorithm to solve a problem, you can write in any language. remember language is just syntax and a subset of cs. there's much more to cs than just language...
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Absolutely, but getting your first few jobs will be much harder and the pay may be less compared to someone with a CS degree.

How would employers view a minor in Computer Science or associate's degree in Software Development in terms of finding initial jobs?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I have an associates in computer internetworking technologies and for the places who want a degree it will open doors that a lack of having one wouldn't.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Get a github page up, write a blog, do stuff on elance on the side, attend hackathons. Make connections bring a portfolio of code and bypass the entry level crap.

Its much easier to pick a specific language like ruby or js (with node) for web apps. I'm reading a book pro mvc 5 it's interesting if your a .net c# guy.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All computer languages share the following constructs:

1) Sequential instructions
    2) Looping instructions
    3) Decision instructions

Yup, all of them them can be distilled to those three constructs. The question is, which programming language you want to program in? Some do it "better" than others. You need to make that decision. Just sit down and start coding. A good place to start is at codeacademy.com. I was tasked to maintain a PHP website, so picked up some PHP learning over there. Thankfully it looks very much like the C language, which I have a background in.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    jdancer wrote: »
    All computer languages share the following constructs:

1) Sequential instructions
    2) Looping instructions
    3) Decision instructions

Yup, all of them them can be distilled to those three constructs. The question is, which programming language you want to program in? Some do it "better" than others. You need to make that decision. Just sit down and start coding. A good place to start is at codeacademy.com. I was tasked to maintain a PHP website, so picked up some PHP learning over there. Thankfully it looks very much like the C language, which I have a background in.

That's a good way of looking at it.
  • Options
    jdancer wrote: »
    A good place to start is at codeacademy.com.

Thanks for the tip. Codeacademy looks like a great place to get started.

In addition, I just found Khan Academy to learn/review mathematics. It offers free courses in a variety of math subjects from beginning to advanced levels.
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    If you want to make a career out of being a programmer then you need a degree in Computer Science, everything else is second rate compare to that degree.

Would the BS in Software Development from Western Governors University be equal to a Computer Science degree?