Options

Confused between Microsoft and Cisco, and my Career path

Birmingham GuyBirmingham Guy Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guys,

I need your advice guys. I'm CCNA and MCSE (server infrastructure 2012). And working with both technologies as a 2nd line support officer. But I'm very confused that in which technology I should do more focus, I should go more future. For better career opportunists and good salary packages. I really need you to share with me your career experiences please. I'll will be very thankful to you guys, for helping me out.

awaiting for replies.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Whichever one you like better. Plenty of career opportunities and money to be made either way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    @networker050184 is correct--both can be divergent or complementary paths...just depends on what you want to do.

Just note the CCNA is one (or two) exams, and the MCSE is five.
  • Options
    I have already passed all these 5+2=7 exams, plus ITIL as well. But I'm confused to select more certification exams or studies in one of these paths. Either Microsoft path or Cisco path. That which path is better, to get better salary packages in future.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have already passed all these 5+2=7 exams, plus ITIL as well. But I'm confused to select more certification exams or studies in one of these paths. Either Microsoft path or Cisco path. That which path is better, to get better salary packages in future.

I believe the gist of the comments were todo which ever one you like best and think is most "fun" and that you are passionate about. Your monetary potential will be more based on how well you know and learn the material vs picking one(Cisco vs Microsoft) over the other... ... I mean other becoming some CCIE and Network Architect both will have similar salary ranges.

When you learned the content between Cisco and Microsoft, which one did you like the most and were the most? Which were you most interested in? Pick that one and then ride the wave
  • Options
    i liked both, but i can't keep studying the both paths. Because more you go further, more you need to be specific. And confused to decide that which path is better than other.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I started working on Microsoft stuff and then I got a job touching Cisco routers. I haven't looked back.

Routers, switches, and ASAs are more fun to me.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Either path is viable. But I guess I'll throw in my suggestion that you go down the networking path. I'm not biased at all, I promise.
  • Options

My apologies, I misread your first post.

I guess that leads to more confusion...how much experience do you have? How long/to what extent have you worked with both technologies?

IMO after obtaining both CCNA and MCSE you should have a pretty good grasp on both independent fields, job options/routes, salary possibilities...etc. While CCNA is considered an entry level cert, MCSE is not.

Both have great earning opportunities but it's really up to you. Since you finished MCSE maybe go on to CCNA:S or CCNP R&S? IMO there's more technological forgiveness in letting Microsoft tidbits slip from immediate memory vs. networking.
  • Options
    can you please explain your this wording
    IMO there's more technological forgiveness in letting Microsoft tidbits slip from immediate memory vs. networking.
  • Options
    Sure, to me advanced networking (routing, specifically) is more complex than many Microsoft technologies. To that extent, it is easier to look up and understand something Microsoft related that you may have forgotten vs. doing the same for something network related.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Here is my take. You have three options with each. Architecture, professional services setup , and professional services troubleshooting/support.

Once you decide on that then you can pick a general role or a specialization. So you can generalize on networks or specialize on the core, distro, or edge.

With MS you can decide on cloud, server, apps, sql ect. My wifes uncle makes millions each year owning his own company doing salesforce integrations into MS stuff.

Sorry for the lack of formatting /spelling this post is on my phone.
  • Options
    As to the money. The money is both ways. Server software is colliding with netwotks with SDN. Might be interesting to play both.
  • Options
    Might be interesting to play both.
    How to play with both? What will be the Job title to if you play with both? @Philz1982 Could you please tell me.
    Here is my take. You have three options with each.
    @Philz1982, could you please explain a bit more that which exactly three options I have with each?

IT is so vast. And this thing made me confuse to select my path to go more further. That's why i'm asking for advices from people as like you guys. "E Double U" and "Heero" advised me to go toward Networking.

And believe me that your words are very valuable for me Guys. So please give me more advices, under you real life experiences.
  • Options
    Any more advice seniors?
  • Options
    First off forgive the grammar and spelling im on my mobile device.

Forget about titles. Titles will limit you and will keep you stuck in your mentality. Now take into context this is US based advice. I realize titles matter outside the US.

If you look at alot of the newer roles that folks on these boards are getting they involve multiple technologies. For example if you are the architect who knows layer 1 to layer 7 you have more opportunities and are more valuable in the higher level enterprise roles.

As to how to provider further example. Well for example, I've architected airports, data centers, and hospitsls. I could always call up Cisco or MS via direct or a VAR and get the info I need. I took the knowledge and put the teo together to create a end to end solution.

As for professional services install and service in this role you are on the road and typically limited unless you move into management. This becomes more true if you know only one technology. Think of how many MCSE or CCIE's churn out of india why compete with them? If you interwork your knowledge together you also future proof yourself.

It is terribly hard to post on a phone and keep my train of thought so hope this makes sense?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find it hard to believe that you are currently working in IT and have obtained a couple certifications but still have no idea which track interests you.

My suggestion would be follow the one that is currently most related to your position and use that extra knowledge to push yourself farther. If you need someone online to tell you which one is better you might as well flip a coin.

My other suggestion would be to start looking for a mentor. Someone that can know you and your situation and give you specific advice. There are great people on the forums and lots of great advice but for something the decides your future make sure that you are looking to someone who understands you as well as the industry.