Options

Job Market in Orlando, FL (and FL in general)

earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning everyone!

So my awesome wife has accepted an aerospace engineering job with Northrup Grumman. We plan on moving to the Viera/Suntree/Melbourne FL area in the next 5 months, which is about 50 min outside Orlando. With that being said that means that I will have to start looking for a job again.

Does anyone know what the IT job market is like in the Orlando FL. After doing a bit of research it seems that the mid to entry level IT is pretty weak in the Rockledge/Cape C/Melbourne/Palm Bay Area however IT is rocking pretty nicely in Orlando.

Was wanting to hear if there are opportunities and companies I'm looking over, your experiences etc. Is the 55min morning + evening commute worth it?

Thank you!
WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I gave my response in a similar thread last year:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/90123-orlando.html

I think the Melbourne area is a bit far personally. Plus you might have to consider tolls if you plan on taking something like the 528 to get to Orlando, so don't forget to add that to the commute.

The majority of people here on the forums that are from Orlando will say that the IT job market sucks. As I said in the other post, I think it's because most of the guys here are in systems and network administration/engineering with a good majority also in Desktop Support. These roles are a bit saturated so, if you're one of these guys, then you might have some trouble fighting off the competition.

However, if you're part of the software developer or database crowd, then there's plenty of opportunity here. Seriously, I get emails from recruiters on a weekly basis and have to beat them off with a stick. Salaries for these jobs are generally good too with the average in the 70-100k range.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on your skill set but IT is not that strong in Orlando. But if your skill set is strong you will find work.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Its relative to where you are coming from and my only "yard stick" are job posting on job sites.

But comparing Orlando to Metro Detroit (like I did last summer) the market looked much better than what I had to pick from.