Options

VLAN Config Question

triplebenctriplebenc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I understand that computers must be on the same vlan to communicate with eachother (if no router is available). If a router is present it doesnt really matter because the router can use ISL frame tagging so everybody can communicate with eachother. So here is my little dilema:

Router to Switch 1 = e0 - fa0/2
Switch 1 to Server = fa0/1 - e0
Switch 1 to Switch 2 = fa0/3 - fa 0/3
Switch 2 to New User = fa 0/1 - e0

Lets say there is a router that is connected to Switch 1 and that the Server is off Switch 1's fa0/1 interface and they are in the native vlan 1.
Now, what if your business adds another Switch named Switch 2 and connects it to Switch 1 and have a new user off of the new Switch 2. Of course that new user is going to have to get access to the server.

So, my first question is do you have to do any other configurations to the router besides setting it an ip address? Because in the book it says you have to encapsulate the sub interface with ISL. which really confuses me so if somebody could better explain this i would really really appreciate it.

Then, my second question is what all do i do to get that new user access to the server? Do I just have to give him a default gateway and then give switch 2 a default gateway and ip address for the port that the new user resides on (in this case port fa 0/1) and lastly give interface vlan 1 an ip address in the same subnetwork as switch 1?

Thanks a bunch! Just tryin to nail the VLAN section on the exam and wanna know it inside and out.

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troublecisco_trouble Inactive Imported Users Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Add port of Switch 2 to the same VLAN as the port of Switch 1. Or create a trunk between the switches and have them under VLAN1 as by default all ports are configured under VLAN1.

They have an example in the CCNA Todd Lammle study guide
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    triplebenc wrote:
    Hey all, I understand that computers must be on the
    So, my first question is do you have to do any other configurations to the router besides setting it an ip address? Because in the book it says you have to encapsulate the sub interface with ISL. which really confuses me so if somebody could better explain this i would really really appreciate it.

Then, my second question is what all do i do to get that new user access to the server? Do I just have to give him a default gateway and then give switch 2 a default gateway and ip address for the port that the new user resides on (in this case port fa 0/1) and lastly give interface vlan 1 an ip address in the same subnetwork as switch 1?

Thanks a bunch! Just tryin to nail the VLAN section on the exam and wanna know it inside and out.

to answer first question router config should look like this the short reason why is that you have to specify a trunk encapsulation being that your moving multiple vlans across a single link

int fa0/0.1
    encapsulation isl/dotq vlan ID
    ip address

int fa0/0.2
    encapsulation isl/dotq vlan ID
    ip address

if your using a 2500 you can do sub-interfaces on e0 but you will have to use 12.2 EN version

the switch connecting to the router should look like on the port
    int fa0/?
    switchport trunk encap dot1q/isl
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk allowed add vlan ?,?,?

the link between the 2 switches should look something like this as well you also can specify i native vlan if not it will use vlan 1 by default

for the second question just provide the end user a ip address and let them know the ip address of the server on the other vlan icon_wink.gif don't forget to turn on ip routing
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons