Options

"Help Desk"

doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings! It has been a while. I hope everyone has had a great Christmas/Holiday season.

I beginning to prepare to venture out into hopefully greener pastures. I've hit the two year mark in my accounting job but I've done strictly computer work. I've helped set up computers, printers, remote login support, installs, software projects, etc. etc. along with dealing with HR and accounts payable and implementing new IT security policies for our clinic.

It's a small business and as managers we wear many hats, but I'm ready for just one field. HR, finance, and IT isn't letting me fine tune any one area.

What I have done, does it constitute as help desk/entry level grunt work? Does it qualify me to look for higher level/better paying IT positions if I can have demonstrable proof/experience/certification?

I'm kinda in the rock-and-hard place on decision time and I'm hoping to make a move by mid-January. Stick with my finance or invest full-time into IT. I'd prefer merged positions, but I don't see many in this area.

Any help, kick in the butt, guidance is appreciated.

Take care!

Comments

• Options
    tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally think your experience constitutes of a help desk experience. I also did two years of tier 1 help desk support and never really go to touch a computer to fix it, only troubleshot basic software (outlook, ms office suite, web browsing, vpn etc.) issues over the phone, email, chat.

I'd say starting looking for a position in the IT Administration realm. I also recommend that begin learning some network admin skills - win server, ad, etc. Best thing you can do is check job postings and see if you have the skills to perform the job requirements. Best of luck to you in your career!
  • Options
    doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tuleeoh wrote: »
    I personally think your experience constitutes of a help desk experience. I also did two years of tier 1 help desk support and never really go to touch a computer to fix it, only troubleshot basic software (outlook, ms office suite, web browsing, vpn etc.) issues over the phone, email, chat.

I'd say starting looking for a position in the IT Administration realm. I also recommend that begin learning some network admin skills - win server, ad, etc. Best thing you can do is check job postings and see if you have the skills to perform the job requirements. Best of luck to you in your career!

I was hoping it counted for something (thank you)! I've built computers for them, set up their printers, basically troubleshoot any software/hardware problem, e-mail server support, and basically anything that someone young and "who knows tech" can do (apparently that is voice communications, microwave repair...:P )

I want to stay in business and keep my hands in IT. A lot of my friends are pushing me to CISA and other IT credentials (security, network, CCENT, CCNA, etc.).

I have had network training and the basics are pretty easy. I don't think it'd be hard to expand on those. But, the 14 an hour and no growth opportunities have stressed my limits. I was set a few months ago to pursue my CPA but funding/interest was just...lost.