Options

Can't find any openings to apply to. Looking in the wrong place?

mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been having a very tough time with my job search. I am new to the IT field, with just an A+ and Net+ cert, but have lots of other semi-related job experience like customer service, electrician, and cable guy. I've had my resume critiqued and have been told its good based on what little experience I have.

The problem I face right now is I seem to have run out of places to even apply, or else I'm looking in the wrong spots. I just can't find any entry level opportunities.

I've been searching craigslist, indeed, linkedin, and other sites and applying to whatever positions I'm even remotely qualified for. Right now there simply aren't any more entry level listings I haven't already applied to. Positions that require less than 1-2 years experience seem very rare. Running out of entry level options, sometimes I apply to ones I'm not quite qualified for, but try to sell myself with the cover letter and basically tell them I realize I'm not quite qualified for this position, but that I'd make a great employee and have great potential if they have any more entry level positions.

I'm working with multiple recruiters. I've cold called many companies in the area. I've searched local company websites, but they never seem to post any entry level jobs, or at least I never find any posted that don't want multiple years experience and higher experience than I have. I've been trying my very best to network, I've gone out of my way and met lots of people I wouldn't have otherwise met, but none had any job leads.

I'm basically out of ideas now and sitting here at a road block. Don't even know where to send my resume next because I've already applied to anything I could find. Am I doing something wrong in my search?

Comments

• Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went through the same thing you're going through when I was trying to get my foot in the door. I applied everywhere, even jobs that were asking for 1 -3 years experience. I went to alot of interviews and even though I would be turned down because the lack of experience, I would go home and study what I didn't know.

It took me a good year to find a job, in the mean time I studied for certs and kept labbing at home. Try and find any volunteer positions, like the library or small businesses just to get some more stuff on the resume.

It takes time to get the foot in the door and alot of times the area you live in doesn't help much either.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What area (geographically) are you applying to?

Also, I'd have someone take a look at your resume. If you're not getting any call backs that could be a big reason.
  • Options
    mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The geographic area is around seattle and its nearby cities.

I don't know if this is good or not. On one hand, I always hear the seattle area tech market is supposed to be huge, so maybe its a good place to be. On the other hand though the place is ridiculously overpopulated, with rampant urban sprawl. Plus recent huge microsoft layoffs may have flooded the market with experienced people.

I've had many people look at my resume, and say its good, so I don't think the resume is the problem. I feel like the problem is either the jobs don't exist, or I'm looking wrong.