Options

How do you guys feel about desktop support paying minimum wage?

mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do you guys feel about a desktop support job offering minimum wage? Is that a big red flag that its a company that doesn't care about employees, and should be avoided? Do people actually take these positions at that low wage? And if so, do companies expect high turnover?

I'm considering applying to one because I'm so desperate, and have zero income. However minimum wage is not enough to even make my mortgage payment. I'm worried if I got the job, I'd wind up with a bad reputation for the simple fact I'd be constantly looking for work elsewhere, probably needing to take days off if I get interview offers, having a clouded mind and lack of focus due to financial stress, and will be out the door the moment something else comes through.

Comments

• Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have no experience then I would take it. Other then that I would avoid it because there may not be alot you can gain from that job.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a start. If you can survive on the wage and you don't have any other experience, why not? I wouldn't be worried about a bad reputation. If you can sell yourself, that's all that matters. Sounds like it's an easy choice with no other income.

My first actual tech support job was at a call center doing basic browser troubleshooting and password resets. The turnover there was absolutely insane. It paid $10 an hour. I used it to my advantage though and went to a job 3 months later and was making $16 migrating laptops from XP to 7.

You get that experience under your belt (even if it's with a bad company) and better companies (and better paying ones) are MUCH more apt to bring you in for an interview.
  • Options
    professionaleprofessionale Banned Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    its a start,
    i would take it if i had no experience and was just starting out,
    take it, learn and excel as much as you can
    after you feel like your not learning anything probably after 6 months or something then leave
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Minimum wage IT job is better than no job at all. We all have to start some where and most started at the bottom of the pay scale.

I think employers that pay minimum wage shouldn't expect to have long term IT employees.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got paid a bit more than minimum wage to do this kind of work part time at my college campus.
    It was my first IT job but I sure have a really awesome sweet schedule with weekends off.
    and the reason how i got my foot in the door with many companiesicon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that if the job pays minimum wage nobody will hold it against you when you move on for better opportunities. For now why not at least apply since your not working anyway.

I would not be able to pay my bill on minimum wage either but if it's a start then I say at least look into it.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pay can be so biased depending on location, etc. I get paid a little less than average here in Denver, but it's still a good wage for someone with no degree. If it's your first 'pro' IT job I would expect you'll learn a ton but not make a lot at first. Economy seems to generally be driving forward, so I wouldn't worry too much. Spend 6 months doing the job and then start applying for others, and explain what you've learned with a good basic resume.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Different companies have different definitions of "desktop support". If all you're doing is answering phones and creating tickets for people, then yeah...I could see that. If they expect you to do any sort of troubleshooting, I think they should pay a bit more. But we've been living with stagnant wages in all fields for the past several decades, so it shouldn't be any surprise if there are employers who are cheapskates.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am getting paid minimum wage for what I do, but I don't have any financial responsibilities so I am not it it for money alone experience is king. Once I have enough experience I want to get paid good money for my struggle.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I sure hope that company enjoys high employee turnover, or that they have a hell of a path for upward mobility. If I were a manager paying desktop guys min wage, if they didn't leave or weren't looking for a new gig right away I have a feeling that nobody would want them and that they were dead weight, but would keep them as long as I could use and abuse them.

If I were just getting started in IT and wasn't able to find a job at all, and needed something, I would probably consider it for the experience alone, but would be looking for a new job that pays better starting on day one and would give me experience.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As has been said, if it's your first job then take it.. the only way is up :) Study for certs in your down time and hope to move up internally or externally.

I too would expect them to have a high staff turnover.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    jofas88jofas88 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was paid about $8hr at my first gig. That lasted about 6 months, then I was bumped to 15hr w/ benefits. A year later I was bumped to 22hr, same benis. Now starting off, they pay blew obviously, but I didn't b**** and put in my time and it ended up working perfectly for me. I would say if it seems like a decent gig, and theirs some room to grow, go for it, could work out nicely. You could always do some free lance craigslist work for cash, I make some extra coin by fixing some pretty dumb issues on my days off.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do what you need to do to to make money and gain experience. A year later you will make more than twice that amount AT THE LEAST. Just pay your dues and find a way out when you can.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your first job in IT is almost never a job that will be the traditional "get hired at a big company with great benefits and retire after 30 years" kind of job. I'm not sure if that kind of job exists in IT at all. But for your first job in particular, these days, you are not going to be well paid because the market for people with no experience is so saturated. You should be able to command a bit more compensation with a good 12 months of solid OJT under your belt depending on what types of tasks you are allowed to work on during the first job.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you do not have the necessary experience and a combination of certifications you should expect these things:
    1. Desktop Support
    2. A low salary
    Having a job on your resume is better than going for a interview and being asked why is a gap in your employment history and having to explain that on your resume
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■