Options

Question for studying for CCNA exam

chaje10chaje10 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Cisco Techs,

I am currently studying for the CCNA exam. I have a few questions regarding the CCNA exam.

1) Is it better to take one exam or 2 exams for CCNA?
2)What kind of Cisco Simulator should I download for studying. I like to connect multiple routers and switches and test out the Cisco commands.
3) Is there any good sites with Cisco exam practice question? In the past, there is braindump for Microsoft Exam. Any other good sites for studying?
4) Is it worth to get some low end router (cisco 2500) for studying?

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, it is better to avoid the 2500 series of routers. If you get a 2514 that has maxed out memory and two transcievers for free, that isn't so bad. But, anything else your going to have buy more memory to load a version of 12.3 ios, which is two revisions behind what the test is written for. And, will need to purchase transceivers just to have a 10mb ethernet connect. You won't be able to nat/pat, interVlan routering (router on a stick), or any ipv6. You will be a lot better off using packet tracer or saving your money to purchase a 2600xm or better router.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. It's easier to study for each exam separately since questions vary between each one.

2. I recommend Packet Tracer. That is what helped me quite a bit pass both ICND 1 and 2.

3. I am not sure of any free practice exams. I used subnetting.net for their subnetting questions as well they have some practice questions that is related to ICND1.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to go against the grain and suggest that if all you can afford is low end routers, go for it. I'm a big fan of knowing how to construct cables, straigh thru and crossovers, and even a console for jokes. The low ends allow you to do routing protocols, encapsulation. I will admit that the IP base IOS doesnt support VLAN routing. You have to get advancediP services ios for that. Also, the 2620XMs, although slower than a pile of dog c*ap does support IPv6 if you can get the enterprise IOS. I'm trying to buy some right now off Ebay but the sellers want more in shipping than the cost of the routers themnselves. And I have several different
    varities of IOSs so I can replace the flash and get IPv6. Packet Tracer does fill in the areas where my routers don't do the job.
    I would get the low end routers and the low end switches if that's all you can afford. They WILL cover a good solid 90% of the CCNA objectives in my opinion. Frankly i would love to be able to buy some L3 switches and higher end routers but I can't afford it right now, because I buy three at a time because that's the way to set up a lab

There is one practice exam and a good telnet site for practicing on routers and switches www.freeccnaworkbook.com I have donated money to this site

OK, that's my opinion, let the Gurus fire away at me!!! Hee Hee Hee
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    chaje10 wrote: »
    Hi Cisco Techs,

I am currently studying for the CCNA exam. I have a few questions regarding the CCNA exam.

1) Is it better to take one exam or 2 exams for CCNA?
    2)What kind of Cisco Simulator should I download for studying. I like to connect multiple routers and switches and test out the Cisco commands.
    3) Is there any good sites with Cisco exam practice question? In the past, there is braindump for Microsoft Exam. Any other good sites for studying?

1) I would say it is better to take the CCNA as a whole, however I have heard that it is slightly easier splitting into ICND1 + 2.
    2) I would recommend Cisco Packet Tracer or GNS3.
    3) I wouldn't recommend or suggest using ANY brain ****, I used the "Exam Cram CCNA Exam Book + questions" for the old 640-802 (sure there is a new version for the new syllabus).
    4) I would recommend getting a router and a switch (or a couple of each depending on the funds you have), I'd recommend maybe x2 2950's and a couple of 1841 Routers.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]