Win 98 Registry backup files

the_alpha_geekguythe_alpha_geekguy Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
My Brook's A+ text says:

"Windows 98 Registry are stored in \Windows\Sysbckup directory in the form of cabinet (.cab) files-not .da0 files" as they are in Windows 95.

Further down the text says that the files that the above cab files contain the following files:

"User.dat, System.dat, Win.ini, System.ini" and are stored in a "RB0XX.cab" file

I had always assumed that Win9x registry backups were all stored as .da0 files.

The thing is that the Preplogic Test that came with the book asks:

"On one occasion you notice that a Windows 98 user has deleted the registry, but you notice that their backup registry files are intact. Which files will you use to restore the registry?

The two potentially correct options out of the list given are:
1.) user.da0; system.da0
2.) user.dat; system.dat

Based on the info given in the book, i picked 2.) because supposedly .da0 files are not used with Win98 but the correct answer is 1.).

Anyone know what's going on here?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • the_alpha_geekguythe_alpha_geekguy Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BTW, the Preplogic Test for OS really sucks. Every Test they have has at least 3 HW questions when it's supposed to be an OS Test.

The current test i'm doing has a question on how to load a 3rd party SCSI driver in Win 2k Server. ????? icon_confused.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    BTW, the Preplogic Test for OS really sucks. Every Test they have has at least 3 HW questions when it's supposed to be an OS Test.

The current test i'm doing has a question on how to load a 3rd party SCSI driver in Win 2k Server. ????? icon_confused.gif

OS/Hardware do somewhat overlap in the working world. As far was why you might see a SCSI driver question for OS, you'll hit F6 during the installation of Win2K to install the driver from FDD for example. It's relavant particularly when it is considered part of the OS install process ;)

How much have you worked with the OS's?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • cloudwarriorcloudwarrior Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    heh have to say i also feel that loading a driver into an 'OS' could be considered a software type question