Going back into IT after several years?

pnicopnico Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.
I was wondering it makes sense to try and get back into the IT field.
It has been a while for me, 6 years atleast. I used to do help desk analyst work and contracts, but after some time, my unemployment gap got bigger and bigger.
I did have a lot of help desk and desktop support experience and even did all my A+,Microsoft, Cisco and Novell exams.
I also completed a bachelors in IT from a local university.

I would imagine the field is very competitive even today. If someone wanted to consider going back into the field as a fall back plan, how would they go about it? is it even worthit?
I would probably recertify, but I know anyonre can pass a test and that experience is something that employers look at more closely than a certification exam.
Thank you
Phil

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Brush up on everything you used to know. Maybe consider a functional resume instead of a timeline? Either way, be ready to justify the time break. If you get in an interview and say, "yeah I got fired and then no one would hire me for 6 years" then there is no way you'll get hired. But, if you say that your career went a different direction for awhile but you've always had a passion for IT and are getting back into the field it is a different story.
  • pnicopnico Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks! I did explore being self employed with 2 other business ventures so I figured as a fall back re exploring everything can't hurt.
    Does it Pay to invest in the MS certs, and the CCNA?
    I have the MCSE from windows 2000 and well I guess Novell is not that revelant anymore.

Thank you