48 year old too old for school?

drrouterdrrouter Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am 48 and have been working in IT for about 29 years. I have several certs but nothing current. I have been working in management over the last decade, but have an itch to get back to hands-on.

I realize IT is a young mans game, but I think I still have 'it'.

Question is this: I have 2 AA degrees in CS and Electronics but never finished my bachelors. I think I would like to and have the $$ and roughly 15 hours a week to commit.

This is not a job requirement, it's just something I want to do and think it would help me get back to hands on work.

Thoughts?

Comments

• J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go for it! I don't think anyone is ever too old to go back to school. You have the desire and drive to make it happen it sounds like, that's all you really need!
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with J_86, don't let something as arbitrary as a number stop you from doing something you want to do. I recently did my BS online with CTU and had plenty of people in the mid and late stages of their careers taking or finishing their BS. However, with that said, doing degree coursework isn't exactly "hands on" and you can find several alternatives to satisfy that itch.

good luck
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I went to ITT Tech and during my 2 years there, I met many guys who were anywhere between 40-60 and they were going for their AS or BS degrees. Additionally, I've heard a few stories of people in their 90s finishing their degrees:

After Leaving College in 1932, 99-Year-Old Man Finally Gets His Degree | TIME.com

99-Year-Old Woman Gets Degree 75 Years Late After $5 Fee Finally Paid

If that doesn't motivate you no matter your age...then what will?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No reason why not. The longer you wait the longer it will be before you are done. With an AA and working IT experience I'd check out WGU, you could probably complete your degree in no time.
  • realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm 46 and I just completed an AS. I am in the process of completing all my prereqs and GE courses and will transfer to a BS program probably next year. I say go for it.
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    If you want to go back for personal reasons by all means go for it but as a career move I would not recommend it. I have an old school AA in electronics and have had to reinvent my self a number of times. To me the certification route is more hands on and more relevant and a lot cheaper than college. The only reason employers are even talking to me at my age is because I picked up some certs recently. I do have a BS in an unrelated technology but few places care. Being able to study what I want at my own pace seemed a lot more attractive than going back to school.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At this point I would see this being more a personal satisfaction point for yourself and not exactly something that would be a career game changer for you. Knowing that you went back and got that BS is a good feeling, and having your AA, you shouldn't need too much to finish it out on your own pace. If you are only doing it for possible job opportunities, it may not be the best choice as your experience would trump that as would certifications.
  • linuxabuserlinuxabuser Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forget school. Get a lab and start playing with new technologies. Automate things!
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's never too late
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It is NEVER too late to get a degree! Certs expire/technology changes, but you have your degree (specifically, the pride in earning it) forever...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go for it. Why not? Maybe it will open up doors for you. A lot of upper management positions require a Bachelor's or Master's degree. At worst, you're back to where you were but maybe learned a few things. And if you go to WGU you can get some certs on top of that and learn some stuff that way too. Even if you plan to retire at your position now, trying to better yourself and learn is a good thing no matter what your age is.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you want to do it, then do it!