Static Default Route

GuitarWizardGuitarWizard Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm praticing static default route, I'm using the ip route command

R2(config)# ip route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Lo1

Just can't work out what IP and subnet mask do I use though? R2 or Lo1?

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you using a network address for the first part of your static route?
  • GuitarWizardGuitarWizard Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you using a network address for the first part of your static route?

Yeah but I'm not too sure what network address the command needs like is it the address of R2
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    R2(config)# ip route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Lo1
    {Destination addr}{Destnation mask}
    {Forwarding router's address or interface}
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Yeah but I'm not too sure what network address the command needs like is it the address of R2

You haven't given enough information / details for us to answer that :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're asking how to configure a static DEFAULT route, the command is always #ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [outgoing interface] (At least for IOS).

If you're talking about a static route (Which seems to be everyone's responses), then it's like this:

#ip route 192.168.1.0 (Destination address) 255.255.255.0 [10.1.1.2 (This is the ip address of the next hop router and is your first option) | F0/0 (This is the interface of your LOCAL router and is your second option)].

Now, let's say you have two links like the one here: topology-basic-bgp.png

In this case, you would configure a "Static floating route" in the case you have two links to a destination (Or in this case, two links to the internet). Let's make this a default route as it is going to your ISP.
    HQ_Office#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [S1/1 OR 10.0.0.1] (This is your preferred path)
    HQ_Office#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [S1/2 OR 172.16.0.1] 3(The number at the end of the command is a manual adjust to the static route's AD)
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []