How to negotiate salary,

professionaleprofessionale Banned Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

so recently i being offered a role,
in the interview they asked for salary and i said 70k plus and he said ok and he wrote it down and said he has to talk with the business owner about it.

and then i got the job offer,
but they want to run a reference check,
i checked for the position description in their site and it said this below

Earn $80K+ ! Includes phone, personal petrol paid great base and awsome bonuses

i was told they pay their workers over time, and bonuses as well as paid cert and cert bouunses if you pass and you also get a company car etc.

i was wondering when negotiating can i ask for 75k BASE salary plus the bonuses or can i ask for 80k base salary and bonuses

nothing has being negotated i said my price is 70k plus

they really really liked me

Comments

• pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You never want to mention a number first. Because many places will hold you to it. If you are asked what your looking for, just say your main goal is finding the right position with the right company and that the number would be dependent on the position. Let them be first to say a number.

Now that you have said 70k, its going to be tough for you to negotiate now. First and foremost, wait for an actual offer(did you get an offer? if so what was the offer?). Once you have an offer in hand and can see the entire package, then decide what you want to negotiate. That 80k number might be DOE(depending on experience) which means they can basically use that to say thats why they arent offering you 80k. If you think you are worth it(and your willing to let them walk) then ask for the 80k and have a damn good reason as to why your worth that.
  • professionaleprofessionale Banned Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    man
    i tried so many times to say what you say but they always try and get a bloody number from me,
    i know i ****** up by saying the number
    my fault icon_sad.gif

so when i said 70k plus i ment i want more than that can i ask them for 77k base then? is it resonable,
    i havent recieved a offer they have to run a reference check if the reference checks are good can i ask for 77k when negotiating or something
    they loved me alot the manager loved me alot

and i can give good reasons i did well in the interview and my experience is good and they liked me what ya think
    i am unemployed i dont wana lose this offer.
    man
    i tried so many times to say what you say but they always try and get a bloody number from me,
    i know i ****** up by saying the number
    my fault icon_sad.gif

so when i said 70k plus i ment i want more than that can i ask them for 77k base then? is it resonable,
    i havent recieved a offer they have to run a reference check if the reference checks are good can i ask for 77k when negotiating or something
    they loved me alot the manager loved me alot

and i can give good reasons i did well in the interview and my experience is good and they liked me what ya think
    i am unemployed i dont wana lose this offer.

You can ask for whatever you want. But just understand by doing so you run the risk of them rescinding the offer.

First things first, wait until you get the offer and see how much it is and what the benefits and bonus will be. If you arent satisfied, i would say respond and ask if thats the best they can do. They will likely then say that they are meeting you at the number you asked for however. Now you could say, well that number was just a starting point and based on all of the info i have, can you do 77k? Again, you run the risk of them walking away. And really, they know your unemployed and that 70k is fine. So they have all the leverage. Unless you are someone that has a skillset perfectly suited of the position, that would be difficult for them to find or that they dont have in other candidates, then they will likely stand firm to 70k.

Let me ask you this.

What were you making in your last position? They may ask you this as well by the way.
    What experience do you have that justifies being paid more?

is it worth risking the position for $7k?
    pinkydapimp,
    thanks for your reply bro
    i never said 70K
    i said 70K PLUS i used the word plus
    what i ment that was i want way more than 70k

they never asked my last salary,
    i was under paid at 62.5k
    but i was underpaid heaps
    and i worked my ass out and done and lead large scale projects which i deserved more than 62.5k

i am a cloud specalist and they were looking for a cloud seoclaist

google app consultants or aws consultants are rare in my location thats why and thats why he liked me and wanted to interview me
    plus he liked my attitude

can i ask for 77k ?
    pinkydapimp,
    i never said 70K

and i worked my ass out and done and lead large scale projects which i deserved more than 62.5k

google app consultants or aws consultants are rare in my location thats why and thats why he liked me and wanted to interview me

can i ask for 77k ?
    Like i said, you can ask for whatever you want. But its your life and career.

If you are ok walking away from the job if they don't want to give you $77, then by all means, ask for it.
    If it were me, i would simply ask if thats the best they could do, then decide how to proceed based on their response.

I just want you to understand that your negotiating from a poor position and they will likely use that initial number against you. even if you didn't mean it like that. They likely took the plus to mean benefits. Or at least might claim as much.

Remember, their goal is to hire the best person they can, for as cheap as they can.
    well i am not a cowboy
    that comes into work who is willing to work,
    i already learned
    i did the grunt
    i being through the wars
    you get a seasoned consultant

and i believe i am worth that much,
    i am gonna take a risk,
    after all whats the fun in life if you dont take risks
    plus they liked me alot
    well i am not a cowboy
    that comes into work who is willing to work,
    i already learned
    i did the grunt
    i being through the wars
    you get a seasoned consultant

and i believe i am worth that much,
    i am gonna take a risk,
    after all whats the fun in life if you dont take risks
    plus they liked me alot

I like the confidence. thats exactly the confidence you should exhibit when you ask. Im a risk taker too. If you want something, you need to ask. And i think you have answered your own question. Good luck!!
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    When negotiating salary, I usually give them a number they CANNOT meet. Say 100k. They will say OMG that is higher than the range we are looking for. Then they will throw you a lowball offer. Say 80k. That is when you begin negotiating. Somewhere in between will be their final offer. Which would be 85 or 90k. But always price yourself HIGH.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    They will say OMG that is higher than the range we are looking for.

lol!

Often times if it's an OMG reaction, you'll be tossed aside from the get-go.

The key is to getting them to say the budgeted position range, and then go from there. If it's in your range, cool. If it's not in your range, then thank them for their time, tell them to hit you up if they get a position more suitable to your liking (don't reveal your range though, just indicate it's higher/more senior if that is the case).
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    You'll create some bad will by increasing your demands after you've already been given an offer meeting your previous demands. Imagine that you go to a store and pick out an item, look at the price and decide that the item is something that you are interested in at that price. However, while you are checking out the items, the cashier caught a glimpse of your car, a brand new Ferrari. When you go to pay for the item, the cashier asks for a higher price. How would you feel? You have essentially already given your price even if it was somewhat vague at 70k+. I doubt asking for 80k will go over well even if they can technically afford it, and maybe even would have offered 80k if that was on the table for the beginning.
    i think i used the wrong word

i said 70k plus meaning i wanted at least 75k

in their website it said for this position

Earn $80K+ ! Includes phone, personal petrol paid great base and awsome bonuses

i was told they pay their workers over time, and bonuses as well as paid cert and cert bouunses if you pass and you also get a company car etc.

so whats wrong with me asking for 77k or 75k fine i wont ask for a 80k base salary,

but i believe i am worth it plus i said 70k PLUUS so that doesnt mean 70k

i believe earlier on in my career i asked for 30 to 40k and ended up getting 47k lol
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I'm just saying what I think could happen based on the situation you describe. I don't think their reaction would be purely based on the numbers, but rather the psychology of it, if that makes sense. Or maybe not, it's impossible to predict exactly what will happen, obviously.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    When it comes up I would simply say that you gave a range, saw a different range advertised online, and ask how the two can be aligned. It's that simple. If you don't like their number, you don't have to take it...never be afraid to walk away.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i said 70k plus meaning i wanted at least 75k

No. 70k plus would mean 70k + $1. More realistically, it would be $71k. If you wanted $75k, you should have asked for $75k.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    i suck balls
    when it comes to negotiating

man plus means i want more

70k plus more i tried to get 77k more or at least 75k more

how can i correct this and do well
    they have to run a huge reference check u think i can get more or what

the positives are this
    i am a specalist they are willing to take me in as a specalist

the manager loved me alot like really liked me like he wanted to marry me

i have good experience and they want client references and these are big as clients for big as projects i did

techexams how can i turn this around to make more money it aint about the past its about fixing it
    i suck balls
    when it comes to negotiating

man plus means i want more

70k plus more i tried to get 77k more or at least 75k more

how can i correct this and do well
    they have to run a huge reference check u think i can get more or what

the positives are this
    i am a specalist they are willing to take me in as a specalist

the manager loved me alot like really liked me like he wanted to marry me

i have good experience and they want client references and these are big as clients for big as projects i did

techexams how can i turn this around to make more money it aint about the past its about fixing it

There is no magic formula. I think you got strong advice in here. All you can do is ask for more. either they will give it to you or they dont.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, I would wait until you get an offer first before you start to negotiate. They obviously know that they sent you the email with the 80k plus, and they may really like you and offer you 75 or 80 even. Even if they offer you something you are completely fine with, it never hurts to ask for a little more.

Lets say they offer you 75, you counter at 78 or 80, and they'll either accept it, or counter in between. Even if you were fine with 70k, and they offer you that, ask for 75. You never know what they will say and if they like you they will not rescind the offer if you ask for a reasonable amount more, especially if it's in the range they want and expected to pay.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If a hiring manager wants to marry me I would run away at speed light. LOL!

Assuming you they low-ball you, it all boils down to two options:
    1) if you really want the job, want to play it safe, and can live with the offered compensation, then take it
    2) if you want to stick to your guns you can either give them a higher number or bring up the difference issue.

Key point here is to politely and professionally present your request. If you do it this way I highly doubt they will rescind the offer right off the bat.

I try not to play the numbers game, but if I really like the position and feel it may slip away I would give the absolute lowest number I am willng to accept, something along the lines of "I'll consider anything above $xx", with $xx being my absolute bottom. May want to keep this in mind for next time.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you have an actual offer on the table, you could contact HR and ask, politely, of they could up it a little.

This job I was going to be hired at 42, I asked for 45 and got it. 70k is still a fantastic salary, and more than what you had previously. Don't get stuck on numbers. You can always move up/out later on.

Good luck!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    No. 70k plus would mean 70k + $1. More realistically, it would be $71k. If you wanted $75k, you should have asked for $75k.

exactly....mid70s would more so mean $75k....

i usually ask them what their range is, and also will give a range of what i'm looking for...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    they are running a big reference check on me,

look i am gonna take the risk and ask for 75k base salary,

if i dont get it oh well
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    You gave them a number, so what's most likely going to happen is they're going to come back at your number or below. You can't blame them, it's business and its what you wanted, so they think it's a good fit.

Now, what you do is request to negotiate on that salary. They will likely say okay, based on what, then it's your time to shine and make your case for whatever number you feel you should be at. At that point, you need facts, not opinions, so put on your lawyer hat and prepare ahead of time. Have it ready to go.

But be prepared to be polite if they say they're unwilling to negotiate. You're unemployed... There's negotiation and then there's bills. If you're not needing the money, then hold out, but if you need the money, don't be a fool. :)

Good luck!
  • overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    70k Plus could mean ok we can pay this guy/gal anything over 70K ok $71,500 sounds good he/she will be happy. Remember it is only two rules to remember..
    Rule One: Always and I mean always when asked how much you make add approximately 10K to your salary.
    Rule Two: No matter what salary range you are looking for believe me someone else applied for the same job who is willing to take less than you. So unless you aren't desperate, I wouldn't be a pain in the butt because that guy that is two months behind on mortgage and eating peanut butter and jelly every day will take 65K and do back flips when he gets out of bed in the morning.
    True Story.. A guy at work last week told me he had to beg for the position he is at. He said he kept asking for more money asking about this benefit and that benefit and if he didn't take medical (his wife is in the military) will his pay be increased and this that and the third and the company lost interest in him and started interviewing other candidates. He said he was low on money and his wife said to take whatever he got so he called and told them he will take whatever salary is offered because he needed a job. And this was just last week. So... remember it can backfire. So……just FYI
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    pinkydapimp,
    i never said 70K

can i ask for 77k ?

understand you did say 70k. The plus haha
    When you say 70k plus your saying "I will accept 70k at the lowest but would like more"
    wouldn't we all like more? Your potential employer is going to pay you the lowest you are willing to accept. Which you stated.

Could you apply to another place and say 77k and definitely get it? What is general pay for this position with your experience and skills that fit this job exactly? Also remember benefits are very important. So if they wont go over 70k ask for more vacation or whatever.

Where are you getting 77k? does 7k just sound better? How can you justify it? You have already set the lowest number that you WILL accept. They are likely going to be close to that. You might be able to negotiate 1-2k more. 7k? Well you better be able to justify the hell out of it now.
    Always wait for their pay number. If they ask for previous employer pay (which in my state this is illegal) i dont answer it. Or if i do, i lie. If i was paid 60k at my last job, and i feel i could get more, i would say a higher number. This is a balancing act, to high of a request and you will not have a job. (ive seen this all too many times).

Just remember no matter what they pay you, you are always going to think you could be getting more. What you think your worth is always higher than what employers will think. You have already set your lowest willing to accept number. "plus" means absolutely nothing to them.

Next time, research their ads for the position BEFORE you go to the interview. So if they state a number you have something to work with.
    HR likes the employees that want less money, hell so does your potential boss. If you are now not willing to accept 70k, than try to negotiate and if they refuse then refuse the jobs. They will likely give it to some schmuck with less experience willing to accept it for 60k.
  • yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Know what you're worth. Don't throw up a guestimate salary. I want "70ish" or "70k Plus"? On their side, it shows that you don't know what you want. If you wanted 77k, then tell them you need 77k. If somebody gave me their salary requirement of "70k plus", I'd give them that dumb look. What does that mean? $70,000.01? How about I hook you up and give you $70,500.00 and promise you a $500 raise in 60 days. Would that make you feel better? When it comes to salary, I don't know why people are afraid to tell an employer what they need. It's a two way street. They need somebody to fill a role, and you need a job. As for one of the posters that said they would throw out a crazy number, go ahead. It actually saves time. One, if it's too high, it'll stop wasting everyone's time and not bother calling. Two, if the salary fits into the range, now you have a number to work with. Three, you already have a job, and could careless if you don't get this job.
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    understand you did say 70k. The plus haha
    When you say 70k plus your saying "I will accept 70k at the lowest but would like more"
    wouldn't we all like more? Your potential employer is going to pay you the lowest you are willing to accept. Which you stated.

Could you apply to another place and say 77k and definitely get it? What is general pay for this position with your experience and skills that fit this job exactly? Also remember benefits are very important. So if they wont go over 70k ask for more vacation or whatever.

Where are you getting 77k? does 7k just sound better? How can you justify it? You have already set the lowest number that you WILL accept. They are likely going to be close to that. You might be able to negotiate 1-2k more. 7k? Well you better be able to justify the hell out of it now.
    Always wait for their pay number. If they ask for previous employer pay (which in my state this is illegal) i dont answer it. Or if i do, i lie. If i was paid 60k at my last job, and i feel i could get more, i would say a higher number. This is a balancing act, to high of a request and you will not have a job. (ive seen this all too many times).

Just remember no matter what they pay you, you are always going to think you could be getting more. What you think your worth is always higher than what employers will think. You have already set your lowest willing to accept number. "plus" means absolutely nothing to them.

Next time, research their ads for the position BEFORE you go to the interview. So if they state a number you have something to work with.
    HR likes the employees that want less money, hell so does your potential boss. If you are now not willing to accept 70k, than try to negotiate and if they refuse then refuse the jobs. They will likely give it to some schmuck with less experience willing to accept it for 60k.

Agreed. The FEAR comes down to rejection and lost of opportunity. People have to be willing to walk away from lowball job offers and not look back.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Professionale, any update? Dying to know who this plays out.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to go ahead and agree here that you should ask high initially just based on my experience. If you were selling a car for $6500 and your friend was just asking what you were looking for out of curiosity, you would tell him $6500 but wanted at least $5000. So he knows you'll take $5000. Now if you bring the car to me because I'm going to buy it, you wouldn't tell me $5000 to $6500 right? Because then I would know you'll take $5000 (you told your friend after all). That's essentially what the problem here is. Now they know you'll take $70,000 despite saying 70k+. You gave away your actual minimum.