CCNA Course Question

datacenter01010datacenter01010 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I was planning to sign up for an online CCNA course and was wondering if I could get some advice or opinions. I'm thinking of signing up for a course offered by George Mason University that lasts 24 weeks and is $195 (which i think is pretty low). It also offers a 60% discount if you get 75% or more in the course.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty good deal for a course like this and I could definitely use the help in learning the material. What do you all think about the offer. Has anybody had any online course experience? I could definitely use some advice and all of your comments are welcome.

Comments

• The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    I'm not familiar with the course, but $195 is extremely cheap for a CCNA course. I once shelled out $1000 for training and never finished it... (yeah, my wife reminds me of this from time to time).

Not sure how computer literate you are, however, for ICND1 (1st part of CCNA) - I think you can get away with the official Cisco Cert Guide and a Simulator. I really like the CCENT Simulator from Cisco Press / Pearson. You can get the book for $30 and the simulator for $79, I believe.

That will get you through ICND1 with no problems. That's what helped me pass... well, I also purchased the video Series by Kevin Wallace (also on the Cisco Press website), however, those cost big money.

I think you will be fine with the book and Simulator. Just work your way through it and you will be on your way!

I'm currently working on ICND2 and am repeating the same steps I used for ICND1. Using Cisco Official Cert Guide, and CCNA simulator.

Hope this helps!
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I spent 4 semesters at a Junior College at an official Cisco Netacad class. I'm a big fan of having to plug things in using the correct cables and stuff like that. I would be interested in knowing how an online version works
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    See if you can find some results / reviews on google?

Years ago I took a CCNA R&S course at a local CC, and it was about just as cheap + books. It makes you at least stay on schedule and go from various labs and homework. At that price, how bad can it be right? Plus, you might get access to NetAcad / PacketTracer and the discount for the test , not a bad deal if you ask me.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and getting the .pdfs of all the labs for future use and alumni useage of Cisco's Netspace. But the OP did'nt state if it is a cisco netacad facility
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • datacenter01010datacenter01010 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for your advice. The course is with George Mason Virtual Academy if anybody else is interested. Looks like I'll probably register for the course seeing as $195 is pretty inexpensive. Here's the link to the course if anyone else is interested: CCNA
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 420 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone. I was planning to sign up for an online CCNA course and was wondering if I could get some advice or opinions. I'm thinking of signing up for a course offered by George Mason University that lasts 24 weeks and is $195 (which i think is pretty low). It also offers a 60% discount if you get 75% or more in the course.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty good deal for a course like this and I could definitely use the help in learning the material. What do you all think about the offer. Has anybody had any online course experience? I could definitely use some advice and all of your comments are welcome.

Sounds like a decent deal to me. When I took my CCNA I completed it through my Unversity in Semesters which was £600 for the whole lot! So that seems quite cheap to me. Most of the content was all online through Cisco's website (which I found easy to learn from) I would also recommend buying a copy of the Cisco OCG guide for when you get bored of sitting infront of a screen.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]